Time for another Sunday Scripture! Again today we're continuing my simple study of Psalms. You can see a copy of the journal I'm using here: The Book of Psalms 1-50 or you can find all the resources simply by scrolling down on the same page. I'm attempting to SOAP each Psalm too, though some of them are longer so I will likely only do a selected passage from many of them. [Quick reminder that S stands for Scripture; O stands for for observation; A stands for application, and P stands for prayer.] Each psalm's study also includes a reflection question, which I've been attempting to journal an answer to. Today we're looking at Psalm 33. We were to zero in on verse 11, but I chose instead to SOAP verses 4-5.
S= "For the word of the LORD is right, and all His works are done in truth.
"He loveth righteousness and justice; the earth is full of the goodness of the LORD." (Psalm 33:4-5)
O= Psalm 33 is titled by C.I. Scofield in the Scofield Study Bible as "A psalm of joy". My ESV Bible titles it "The Steadfast Love of the LORD."
Verses 4-5 read in the ESV:
"For the word of the LORD is upright, and all His works are done in truth.
"He loveth righteousness and justice; the earth is full of the steadfast love of the LORD."
Cross-reference for "truth" (v.4) -- "I know, O LORD, that Thy judgments are right, and that Thou in faithfulness hast afflicted me." (Psalm 119:75)
Cross-references for "loveth righteousness" (v.5) -- "For the righteous LORD loveth righteousness; His countenance doth behold the upright." (Psalm 11:7)
"Thou lovest righteousness; and hatest wickedness; therefore God, thy God, hast anointed thee with the oil of gladness above all thy fellows." (Psalm 45:7)
"Thy mercy, O LORD, is in the heavens; and Thy faithfulness reaches unto the clouds. Thy righteousness is like the great mountains; Thy judgments are a great deep. O LORD, Thou preservest man and beast." (Psalm 36:5-6)
Righteousness and justice are the habitation of Thy throne; mercy and truth shall go before Thy face." (Psalm 89:14)
Cross-reference for "justice" (v. 5) -- "The meek will He guide in justice; and the meek will He teach His way." (Psalm 25:9)
Cross-reference for "the earth is full" -- "The earth, O LORD, is full of Thy mercy; teach me Thy statutes." (Psalm 119:64)
The psalmist beings with this exhortation in verse 1: "Rejoice in the LORD, O ye righteous; for praise is befitting to the upright."
Verses 2-3 speak of singing a new song to the LORD, and praising Him by playing skillfully with various instruments.
Then the psalmist goes on in the following verses with many reasons to praise God: His Word (v.4); His righteousness, justice, and goodness (v.5); His work in creation (v.6-9); His sovereignty over all people and nations (v. 10-17); His providential care and watchful eye over those who fear Him and hope in His mercy.
He ends with this exhortation: "Our soul waiteth for the LORD; He is our help and our shield. For our heeart shall rejoice in Him, because we have trusted in His holy name" (v. 20-21).
A= The psalmist exhorts his audience (including us) to rejoice in the LORD and to praise Him with songs and instruments. In these verses he gives us several reasons to praise God:
* The Word of the Lord is right;
* All God's works are done in truth;
* The Lord loves righteousness and justice;
* The earth is full of the goodness of the Lord.
I want to have a continual heart of praise, and to be in a continual attitude of prayer and worship. I can praise God daily for these very things seen in verses 4 and 5. God's Word is right. What a blessing it is to have His Word to live by! All of His works are done in truth, righteousness and justice. This is our God! We can rest in His sovereignty and trust in His plan. As we observe His hand in creation and in His providence, we are filled with praise and gratitude that the earth is full of His goodness.
P= "Lord, how this psalm draws my heart to praise You! I am so thankful that Your Word is true and right and that I can trust its teaching and guidance every day throughout my life. I praise You that all You do is done in righteousness, truth, and justice and we can absolutely rest in Your sovereignty. I thank You for the evidences I see every day that the earth is full of Your goodness and steadfast love. How I praise You that You made a way for sinful humanity to be right with You and to be in relationship with You daily. In our precious Savior's name, Amen."
Reflection Question: This psalm is filled with praise and worship to the Lord.
What role does worship play in your life and how can you have a continual heart of praise?
My response: Worship plays an important role in my life. I seek to begin each day by praising God for one of His attributes or a spiritual blessing He provides -- so worship plays a role in my life daily. I keep my eyes open throughout each day to notice God working and to be aware of His sovereignty and power in creation. Seeing God's hand in everything helps me to be continually praising Him.
And there is a very general look at Psalm 33. There is so much -- so much! -- in this psalm. It is especially replete with reasons to praise God. Why not take some time for yourself to go through this wonderful psalm verse by verse? It just might transform your quiet time!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.