Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Fabulous Fish Chowder

Here is the recipe mentioned in my meal plan for Thursday. I've made fish chowder for years, and it always came out very good. But once I found this recipe, it has spoiled me for any other fish chowder recipe. It came from COOK & TELL, my favorite recipe newsletter (see link on this page) and is also found in the book of the same name, by Karyl Bannister.

Here it is:
BAKED FISH CHOWDER
2 lb. haddock, hake or pollock fillets (probably most any mild white fish
would work fine)
4 med. potatoes, peeled
2 1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. freshly ground pepper
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1/4 t. chili powder
1 garlic clove, crushed [I use the equivalent amount of granulated garlic)
1 bay leaf
3 med. onions, cut in chunks (I sometimes use 2 or 3 green onions, snipped, instead)
1 T. butter
1/4 t. dried dill weed
2 c. half and half OR 1 can evaporated milk

Preheat oven to 375ยบ. Put fish in a 3 qt. casserole dish with a cover, or a Dutch oven. Layer potatoes on top of fish. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper, cayenne, and chili powder, then add garlic and bay leaf. Top with onions, butter, and dill. Pour in 2 1/4 c. boiling water. Cover and bake for 1 hour. Stir evaporated. milk or half and half into the chowder. Remove bay leaf and serve hot with crusty bread or crackers.

**This is probably the easiest fish chowder recipe I’ve ever seen, and it is fabulous! The spices give it a nice flavor and an unusual “kick.” This is so yummy on a cold night. I can’t usually afford fresh fish , but I like to use the frozen pollock that you can buy at Walmart for under $3/lb.** (These are my daughter Carrie's comments, but I echo them wholeheartedly!)

Let me know if you give this recipe a try and what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy!......if you leave out the fish. LOL (o;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Mrs. B!

    I take it you don't enjoy fish! You know, I think maybe you *could* leave out the fish, and then when it is finished add a can of whole kernel corn along with the cream or evaporated milk. It would probably make a very good corn chowder.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.