Wednesday, August 17, 2022

School days hodgepodge

 


 It's Wednesday, and time for the Hodgepodge -- the linkup where Joyce, at  From This Side of the Pond, asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers on their own blogs.  This week's questions revolve around late summer and back to school.  Here goes!

1. August is National Back To School Month...how does that make you feel? Share a back-to-school memory. 

It seems like schools, especially colleges and universities, go back to class earlier and earlier in August every year.  

Back to school time always brings memories -- some good, and some not so good.  In my early years school was very difficult for me.  Thankfully, as time went by,  I did eventually realize that I enjoyed learning and so I managed to cope with the other aspects that had made school so challenging.

As I sifted through old treasures at my childhood home, one unexpected good memory of back to school  surfaced.  It's the one where every year, my mother made me some new outfits for school.  And she also made some special occasion things too, like 8th grade graduation dresses for me and, years later, my sister.  She also made my high school graduation dress.

It would have been late summer each year when my mother would take me downtown to look at pattern books in our local five and dime.  I would choose patterns I liked and sometimes we would pick out fabric together.  Other times, I distinctly remember choosing fabric first.  There was a shop in a nearby town that had lovely fabric.

One of my favorite dresses was a collarless shirtwaist (likely from the pattern below) made out of a fabric with botanical drawings of fruit on a cream colored background.  I had a pretty pin resembling peaches that I wore with it.  I still have that pin, in fact.

And I am sure I had a jumper similar to the one pictured above.  I think it was a teal flannel print with sort of a Tyrolean look.  So sweet! 

I'm working on a blog post about back-to-school sewing, to publish one of these days ...

2. Something you've learned in 'the school of life'? 

Oh, lots of things.   One is the truth of the old saying "two wrongs never make a right".  Another is that bitterness will eat a person alive if they let it.

3. Three words to describe your current mood.

 Only three words?  I'm fighting either allergies or a summer cold, and neither is fun.  My current mood is a little less than optimistic and my head feels stuffed with polyester fiberfill.  I honestly can't come up with three words to describe my mood.

4. A summer food you've eaten too much of/are tired of? A summer food you haven't had enough of? 

I've definitely eaten too much ice cream this summer, although I must clarify that nearly all of our ice cream intake has taken place at seasonal ice cream places.  It's almost a crime not to patronize them, when the season is so short!  That said, I can't say I'm tired of ice cream.  I'm sure we'll be seeking it out again this weekend.  So many ice cream places, so little time!

The iconic sign at Dairy Delites
A "Snowball" at Frosty Scoops
Ice cream in a homemade waffle bowl at Hatchland's Dairy Delites
Specials at Moose Alley Cones in Pittsburg.  My hubby and I had a Muddy Moose on that visit.

I haven't had enough corn on the cob, meaning we haven't had any corn on the cob yet this summer.

5. What small stuff do you sweat that you know you shouldn't?

Oh, I don't know.   I'm having trouble thinking of anything so I will skip this question.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

We're so looking forward to seeing our Nevada family the first of September! The last time we saw them (pictured below) was May 2021, so it is high time we get together.  Part of their family came here in spring 2019, but several have not been to New Hampshire since 2015 ... and the two youngest girls have never been here.

And that wraps up the Hodgepodge for this week!  Why not head on over to From This Side of the Pond and snag the questions to answer on your own blog? 

9 comments:

  1. Oh my, that beautiful family! Do I count 8 children? Wow! That should be a LOT of fun for you all! I know you are excited to show the grandchildren all your favorite places and spend time at the camp, etc. What a happy time that will be. I love all the delicious looking ice creams...especially love the "Moose Alley Cones" place. Anything "moose" in NH is fun. (except running into one on the highway..."Brake For Moose...it could save your life" is no joke.) I love the old patterns for dresses...yes, my mother made many of my outfits throughout my school years, and then when I learned to sew I made my own, but by that time they were simpler styles like straight shifts or a-line styles. I do wish those vintage styles would come back and girls would dress like young ladies again. But then again, we all love our comfortable clothes that are easy to wash and wear. We only had corn on the cob once that I remember this year, and our season is much earlier than yours...back in May. If I could find some good fresh corn again now I'd like some maybe for Labor Day weekend. Okay, this was wonderful. I hope you are having a beautiful day way up there in NH. I still wish we could sneak in another trip up north one of these days. I do miss it. Have a blessed rest of your month and preparation for that wonderful family visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do count 8 children, Pam, but the girl with glasses at far right is one of our local grands, who traveled to NV with us in 2021.

    Yes, it will be a delightful time. Their family will be staying at the camp (that loft will get some use!) so they will have ample time to enjoy it.

    The grandkids have been putting together a long list of things they want to do while here. One of the things on their list is going out for ice cream. We will also likely be going to Story Land, and hopefully doing some lake swimming at the state park near us.

    There's lots of preparation going on for their visit! My hubby is working on the outdoor shower as we speak ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking family and I'm glad you get to see them real soon. All that ice cream looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love your memories of back to school. :) And have fun with your family, how exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That snowball looks like an ice cream treat I would enjoy. We haven't had a lot of ice cream this summer. Hubs eats it at home in the evenings quite often but I never do. I only eat it out. We need to get some this weekend I think. My grands will be here Labor Day weekend and we plan to make some homemade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for your Nevada family coming for a visit in September. Good for you for supporting your local businesses and eating their ice cream delights! My dear mom sewed my dresses, too. Always something new for school, Christmas and Easter! Hope the rest of your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. VEE wrote: "This was a fun read, perhaps especially so since our moms were so smart with making clothing. My mom made most of my clothes and she made my senior graduating dress and my senior dinner gown.

    Sorry that allergies are wearing you down. That fuzzy head feeling is no fun whatsoever. Asking The Lord to heal you of whatever it is.

    I have had exactly one ear of corn this summer. Not enough! Not enough ice cream, either, but then that's on the no-no list.

    Happy anticipation as you prepare for your Nevada family to arrive. So much excitement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to enter Vee's comment myself because a quick move on my tablet hit delete rather than publish.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Vee!

      It sounds as if our moms were a lot alike in their sewing skills and not afraid to tackle anything. Oh, the dresses my mother made from my ideas! I tried to do the same with my own daughters and succeeded fairly well.

      You have had one ear of corn more than I have had this summer! Hoping to get some soon ... maybe tomorrow. I hope there is still corn available when our NV folks arrive. The younger kids have probably never tasted anything like it.

      Your prayers are being answered. I've felt much better today, but now, with evening approaching, I'm feeling more tired. Still, feeling a good bit better. Thank you for praying!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.