Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Tomato Chicken Rice Soup

(Photo by Taste of Home)
I tried a new soup recipe last night and we really enjoyed it, so I thought I would share the link.  You can find it here:  Tomato Chicken Rice Soup.

I should note that I changed a couple of things.  First of all, I skipped the step of browning the flour at the beginning -- in fact, I skipped the flour completely.  I achieved the slight thickening of the soup (which may not even be necessary) by way of reserving 1/2 cup of the water until the end of the recipe and mixing 2 Tablespoons cornstarch -- the equivalent of 1/4 cup flour -- into it.  Then I stirred this into the simmering soup at the very end.

The other thing I changed was the herbs.  I was running low on thyme and I don't care for large amounts of that herb anyway.  So I substituted 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (which typically contains both of these herbs in addition to others) for the oregano and thyme.

We thought this soup was absolutely delicious and I will be likely to make it whenever I have some leftover cooked chicken on hand.  Perhaps your family would enjoy this hearty soup as well!

What are some of your favorite soup recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.