Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Gluten-free Chocolate Cupcakes

(Photo from Taste of Home)
I tried a new cupcake recipe yesterday!  We are headed into "birthday season" in our family as there are a number of family birthdays in March, April, and May.  Last year I made up a gluten free yellow cake mix into cupcakes and frosted them with lemon frosting.  Then I froze them all and, each time there was a family birthday party to attend, I brought along one frozen cupcake in a little sandwich bag.  By the time cake and ice cream were served, I had my own little cake to accompany ice cream. 

A couple of days ago, I spotted this recipe: Gluten-Free Chocolate Cupcakes in a Healthy Cooking magazine and decided to try it.  Yesterday I baked these cupcakes and they turned out very well!

One thing I particularly liked about this recipe is that it takes no xanthan gum and no special gluten free flours; it uses oat flour which is easily made in one's own blender.  I had a bag of organic oat flour which a friend had found at a bargain, so I just used some of that, but when it runs out I will go the oats in the blender route.

Some reviewers mentioned that the cupcakes were crumbly, but I didn't think they were all that bad.  And the flavor was very good.  I gilded the lily by making a small batch of the following frosting:

EASY PERFECT MILK CHOCOLATE FROSTING
1/2 cup softened butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups powdered sugar
3 Tblsp. half & half cream (I used the fat-free kind)

Beat the softened butter in a medium bowl. Slowly beat in the remaining ingredients until combined, then beat on high until frosting reaches desired consistency.  The recipe as printed generously frosts a  9-inch cake, so I made about a third of a recipe (just using a spoon; I didn't bother with a mixer) which was just the perfect amount for a dozen cupcakes.

Mr. T and I shared a cupcake and I consigned the rest to the freezer.  Bring on the birthdays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.