Tuesday, November 03, 2015

Simple suppers for a getaway ... or a busy day


We recently returned from a two-day getaway up north.  When we go there in the fall, I have two recipes that I usually make for our suppers.  Both are simple.  It occurred to me that others might enjoy these recipes, which work just as well for a couple or a family on a busy day as they do in a small kitchen at a getaway place. 

I usually make the soup recipe for the first night as it is incredibly quick.  There are always leftovers with just the two of us, but they work great for lunch the next day.

ZESTY CHICKEN CHEESE SOUP

1 can whole kernel corn (don’t drain)
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies (don’t drain)
1 small can diced green chilies (optional)
1 can premium chunk white chicken, flaked
8 ounces velveeta-type cheese, cubed

In heavy saucepan or dutch oven, combine everything except the cheese and begin heating these ingredients while you cube the cheese. Add the cheese to the saucepan and continue to heat, stirring until cheese is melted and soup is piping hot.

This recipe came from an early Quick Cooking magazine and is the fastest soup you will ever make -- just a matter of opening cans, heating and stirring -- and is also delicious!

For a getaway, I serve this simply with tortilla chips.  For a family on a busy day, I would probably serve it with cornbread or corn muffins.

The next recipe is for a simple oven supper that cooks by itself (until nearly the last minute) while you are doing other things. 

SAUSAGE-STUFFED SQUASH

1 medium buttercup squash (or 1 large acorn squash)
 Maple syrup or brown sugar
1/2 lb. bulk breakfast sausage (or links, cut up)

(These are the quantities to generously serve two people.  Obviously, you can double or triple this if needed.)

Cut the squash in half.  Remove the seeds to hollow out the center portion of each half.  Place them  cut side down on a foil-covered (or parchment covered) baking sheet.  Bake at 350º until squash is tender -- 40 minutes or longer.  When tender, turn squash halves over; add a small amount of maple syrup or brown sugar.  Return the squash to the oven while cooking sausage.

Now cook the sausage in a small skillet over medium heat, about 10 minutes.  (This time I used Al Fresco chicken sausage in the Breakfast Sausage variety.  It worked great!)

Drain off any fat and heap the sausage in the center of the squash halves.  Bake for 10 minutes longer.

I usually cook baked potatoes at the same time the squash is baking.  Works great!  Rice pilaf would be good with this also, but I like the ease of a complete oven meal.

Sometimes I will take my slow cooker along on a getaway and make a slow cooker meal.  This works great if we are doing some sightseeing or hiking and will be away from the cabin during the day.  And of course, a slow cooker is perfect on any busy day at home, too.  Not just a day when you have lots of housework to do, or appointments that take you out of the house -- but also days when you want to do something fun, like crafting or decorating.  It's a blessing to have supper all taken care of!

What are some simple suppers that your family enjoys?

5 comments:

  1. Oh I have some sausage and a buttercup squash...sounds like supper tomorrow! The cheese soup sounds good, too. We like cheesy corn chowder a lot. That recipe is in my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a supper that was meant to be, Vee! Do let me know how you like this squash dish. We love it. I found the idea originally (if I remember right) in some cookbook of Mrs. Appleyard's. We have to have this for supper at least once every fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your cheesy chicken recipe, because I make it quite often myself - isn't it marvelous! I don't know where I got the recipe, but maybe it was in the Quick Cooking! LOL, so funny! It is one of our favorites for sure too, quick, easy and tasty! Appreciate your visit to see me, and I was happy to come over and say hello, and make a new friend! Have a blessed day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SpicingUpIdaho -- isn't it neat how you use the same cheesy chicken soup recipe! That's one of those fun little connections!

    Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment -- and do come back anytime. There are ten years of posts in the archives with all sorts of things that might interest you -- recipes, devotional thoughts, memories and more.

    I've enjoyed my little visits to your blog as well, and have just subscribed by email so I don't miss anything! Wishing you a blessed day as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im making this for dinner tonight! Thanks for sharing your great recipes with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.