Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Report from the sidelines


Recently I had a phone call from a real-life friend who now lives in another state and enjoys reading my blog.  She was concerned because I hadn't posted in over a week.  Basically, the reason is I just can't sit at the computer desk for longer than a few minutes at a time.  So, in case you've been wondering too, here is a brief report from the sidelines.

 A week ago Sunday as I was preparing to get in our van to leave for church, I stepped on a sloped patch of ice and my feet slid completely out from under me.  It was obvious after a few minutes that I wouldn't be going to church.

I'm okay -- no broken bones -- but I'm being reminded every day that I'm not as young as I used to be, and that a fall in one's sixties is far more of a big deal than a fall in one's forties.  I've fallen on ice in a similar way before -- twice, to be exact -- but it was 20 to 25 years ago.  I remember hitting my head so hard I saw stars, the one time.  But still, a short-lived headache, some temporary aches -- that was it.  This is taking a lot longer to recover from, though I am making good progress and can do more every day than the day before.

Above you see some of my best friends at the moment.  Below is another.  It's my barley hot pack.
If you'd like to try making one, scroll all the way down to "Popular Posts" and there you will see a link for how to make a barley hot pack.  When the pain subsides and I can sit in the proper chair again, I am going to make another, and also replace the barley in this one and wash the cover.  It's had more than its share of use here recently.

I didn't get a picture of this, but arnica massage oil, introduced to me by my daughter, has also become a new friend of mine.

So I can't blog and I can't sew or stock my Etsy shop.  I can barely even eat, as the kitchen table chairs aren't comfy either and I refuse to eat in the recliner, my most comfortable place.  (But no worries -- I'm managing.)  I've also been able to keep up fairly well with laundry, preparing meals, and so on.  Here's some more of what I have been doing to redeem this unexpected time:
I was drawn to this simple study for my morning quiet time for March.  Little did I know it would be exactly what I needed!

Praying, of course

Working on a crocheted hot mat -- love the cheerful colors
Working on this cross stitch UFO -- and I have made a plan for completing it.  My friend Arlene says the stitcher gets to decide when a piece is completed.

Making a grocery list and planning menus for the week
Reading through this for the umpteenth time ... I need it right now

Working on my Sunday School lesson
And even doing a little light reading.
And that's the report from the sidelines (in a snowstorm!).

22 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were that bad. I am sending warm thoughts and will continue to pray. Falling is such a reminder of quickly things can change. Rest up, we will all be here waiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy!

      I was going to try and do the Hodgepodge today, but I really am not up to sitting that long. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks for your prayers and I will post as I am able.😉

      Delete
  2. Oh I hate that you didn’t bounce and that this has been an ongoing saga. Ice. It is an enemy.

    However! I was immensely cheered by the best piece of dieting advice you gave. If I refused to eat in my recliner, I might fade away to a shadow. 😉

    Feel better! Ongoing prayers for healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vee!

      I hate that I didn't bounce too.😊 Oh well -- it happened as it did, and God allowed it for some reason.

      Ice is indeed an enemy. I'm usually so careful on ice, but this time I took a chance. Think I wasn't worrying about it since the car was right there.

      Yes, my dieting advice should be helpful. I don't linger over a meal, that's for sure! I could eat quite comfortably in the recliner, but I just refuse to go that route.

      Thanks so much for your prayers. They are felt and appreciated!😊

      Delete
  3. Oh Mrs. T.....we need to stop falling don't we? I feel your pain. Just take it slow and easy. I drove for the first time today and I did ok so I think I am good to get back to my regular routine. Hope you are up and about soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arlene, you are so right -- we both need to stop falling! I'm very thankful that I didn't break a wrist as you did. It all happened so fast, and my hands were full, so it never even occurred to me to try and catch myself.

      Thanks for the advice to take it slow and easy. I don't have much choice!😉

      I haven't tried driving yet. Soon if it ever stops snowing!😁

      Delete
  4. Prayers lifted!! So sorry to hear about your fall and all the pain you are having. Heal quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your prayers, Terri! I'm making progress every day.😊

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry to hear about your fall. Glad no bones were broken. Arnica is the best for the aches and bruises. Will keep you in my prayers. When I broke my ankle a few years ago, and had enforced inactivity for a few months, I found it to be a time of great blessing, doing many of the things you are doing now, that otherwise got neglected. I will pray it works that way for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that arnica is wonderful. Thankful to my daughter for suggesting it and giving me some of theirs to try. I have my own supply now!😉

      I'm happy enough for the inactivity, but there are things I can't do that really need doing. Just trying to rest in the Lord concerning those.

      Delete
  6. Hi--I've dropped by via Vee's Friends and Favorites...I'm so sorry to hear of your fall. Perhaps this offers a bit of encouragement: I saw your photo of Elizabeth George's book and have ordered it from Amazon for a friend who is also recovering from a bad fall. So...your difficult experience may help someone in Kansas who is going through a similar trial! Will look forward to visiting your lovely blog again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda -- both for your visit and for the encouragement! I hope that the book is a blessing to your friend. I've worked through the study several times and also did that study with my ladies' Sunday School class. I highly recommend it!

      It's always nice (and, of course, biblical) when we can encourage others going through trials similar to our own.😊

      Delete
  7. Oh no, I'm so sorry to read of your fall. Praying you will be better soon. I slipped on the ice a couple of years ago and fractured my ankle. It was a split second of time that veered my course even to this day. Elizabeth George's books and Bible studies are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that, Abby! Indeed, so much damage can be done in just a split second.😯 Falls on ice are especially scary.

      Elizabeth George's books are excellent, I agree. One thing I really appreciate is that there is very little of her own opinion in there. Just good solid Bible teaching.

      Delete
  8. So thankful that you are doing better each day. All in the Lord's time. Continuing to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your prayers, Polly! And for the tip on medication as well. It has really helped with managing the pain.

      Delete
  9. OUCH! So sorry to hear about your fall! Ice has become one of my biggest fears these days for that very reason. It does look like you've been redeeming the time. Sending prayers for rapid healing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your prayers, Julie! We have had a lot of ice this winter and I tend to be extremely careful on it. One unguarded moment... well, the Lord has a purpose in allowing it.

      Delete
  10. O bordado a ponto cruz é lindo. Feliz dia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed seeing the cross stitch project, Sandra!😊 A happy day to you as well!

      Delete
  11. Oh my...I can definitely sympathize with you. A couple of years ago I fell on my icy deck steps...only right after I had already done it a few weeks before...hitting right on my tail bone BOTH times! I was black and blue for weeks! I am so sorry this happened! Even though the ice was the culprit that caused your fall, ice can also be your best friend...keep that ice pack handy! Prayers for quick healing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Debby, how dreadful! Not just once, but twice! I injured my tailbone on ice in my twenties, and I know how very painful it can be. Shudder!😯

      Thanks for your prayers. I continue to need them!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.