Sunday, December 15, 2019

A little festive progress


Life is crazy indeed these days.  Just a little festive progress being made, including these yummy cookies pictured above.  Mr. T used the recipe for Chocolate Butter Cookies and turned them into Sacher Torte cookies by filling them with jam (some apricot, some cherry) and topping with chocolate.

He also made a batch of Heavenly Delight this past week when he got out of work early one day.  It was delicious and we've already given some as gifts, so he needs to make another batch soon.

As mentioned earlier, I made Chocolate Orange Cookies for a cookie swap on Thursday.  They went over very well, and I've had a couple requests for the recipe.  I'd forgotten to add the chocolate chips when preparing the dough, so made half of the cookies with the chips and half without.  I think I liked them better without the chocolate chips, but many others liked them with the chips included. 

Yesterday was a very busy day which included a dump run, a bit of shopping at the Dollar Tree, cleaning the church, cookie baking, and supper with our young friends Sam and Jennifer (breakfast for dinner -- we love that!πŸ˜‹).

Today, Sunday, has been equally busy.  We both taught Sunday School -- then a church from a neighboring town brought their kids and young people to present a Christmas musical for us in the 10 a.m. service.  Four of our grandkids were involved with this and it was great fun.  They would be presenting it in their own church in the afternoon.  Following the musical, folks from both churches enjoyed a nice soup and bread luncheon downstairs in the fellowship hall.  It was wonderful that their pastor had the idea of presenting the musical at our church as well.  When people go to that much work practicing for such an event, it's fantastic to be able to present it more than once.

After lunch we enjoyed our annual gift exchange at church.  (We draw names.)  That was fun also.  Mr. T received some cozy-looking socks and lots of chocolate.  I received a pretty tree-shaped candle and a generous gift card for Hobby Lobby.  

After that, a handful of us -- two ladies, three men, two college age men and two guitars -- went to a few houses and sang Christmas carols.  (A number of folks had other commitments.)  It seemed a bit surreal to be singing Christmas carols standing in mud, looking at green lawns and enjoying temperatures in the 40s.  There was, however, plenty of brisk wind and even the odd snow shower to give it atmosphere.

Yes, a busy day.  If time allows, we may take four local grands on our annual Christmas shopping trip tomorrow. 
It's been a tradition with three of them for years, but little sister (now 5) may be deemed big enough to come along.  We will see.  And that (whenever it happens) will be another busy day!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like lots of busy but fun. I agree it is nice to be able to do a program multiple times when you have worked hard on it. Reminds me of high school when we went on summer choir trips with church performing each night at a different church but taking a trip too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very much like that. My kids went on choir tour each year with their Christian high school.🎢🎼

      Delete
  2. What beautiful grandkids you have, Mrs. T. And your treats above look beautiful too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becki! They are very nice young people, and I'm not saying that because they are my grandchildren.😊

      Delete
  3. Oh I hope that she is ready because five is such a great age and she’ll feel so good to be included. You folk certainly are busy and getting so many things accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as you now know, we did take her along, and all went swimmingly. πŸ˜‰πŸŽ„. The big kids were a great help with keeping her in line.

      Delete
  4. You and Mr. T. are busy making treats for gifting! Shopping with the grands should be lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love making treats to share! Yes, a great day with the kids.😁

      Delete
  5. Your treats all look so yummy! I'm not always a huge chocolate fan, so I think I would be in the no-chocolate chips camp.

    Wow, a gift card to Hobby Lobby. such a great gift! Who doesn't like to meander through that store.

    I love singing Christmas carols. It's been a few years since I've gone out caroling, but I have fond memories of doing so.

    Blessings,
    Patti @ This Beautiful Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I have never been to a Hobby Lobby! My friends and family love the place, but I have not yet stepped inside one. They are relatively new here in NH.
    The closest one is only a half hour away, so hubby and I will venture there soon and use my card.

    Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.