Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Hodgepodge for April 22


It's Wednesday again, and Joyce, at  From This Side of the Pond,  is again hosting the Hodgepodge for our blogging and reading pleasure.  Wouldn't you like to join in?  Just head on over to  From This Side of the Pond and get the questions, then answer them on your own blog.  You'll find it a wonderful diversion in these crazy times we are all living in.  Here are Joyce's questions for this week:

1. What's something you resolved to do this year? Have you done it?
One thing I purposed to do (I wouldn't call it a resolution, but a goal) was to consume less of foods that contribute to inflammation, especially sugar.  That's actually been a goal of mine for quite some time, but I've been inconsistent about it.  This year, my hubby and I did a 40-day sugar fast, starting near the end of February and ending in early April.  It was such a blessing to realize that we could find victory over sugar to that extent!  Our goal is to continue fasting from sugar on a regular basis, allowing for occasional "cheats" on birthdays and the like.  I'm working on a post about our experiences with the sugar fast, so stay tuned.

2. Where do you go to find quietude?
The outdoors.  Preferably beside water.  My very favorite place for this is Back Lake way up in Pittsburg, NH, but really anyplace by a lake, pond, river or stream surrounded by woods will do.

3. A friend asked this question on her Facebook page and said I could borrow it for the Hodgepodge...you're only allowed to buy 5 things at the grocery store, and all must start with the first letter of your first name. Whatcha' buying?
Spinach, spaghetti, sourdough bread, string cheese, strawberries.

I could make a strawberry spinach salad!
4. The television show Survivor, the Gloria Gaynor song 'I Will Survive', survival mode, survival of the fittest...pick one and discuss.

Now this is a thought-provoking question -- and one that I have no idea how to answer.  I have never thought the television show Survivor was a good idea.  (Sort of like that question from last week's Hodgepodge about something everyone seems to love that we just don't see the point to.)  Human nature is ugly; why encourage it?

Probably best for me right now not to discuss survival mode and survival of the fittest. 

5. Share a favorite quote or saying about strength.

"Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength."  (Isaiah 26:4)

And this one, too, by Abby at Little Birdie Blessings
6. Insert your own random thought here.  
Coming down to what may be the homestretch on the cleaning out at my childhood home.  When I look at the number of cards, books and other small items I plan to list on Etsy, it makes me feel quite faint.  Scanning and listing these is a project I really need to work on every day.
This unused note card is one of my most recent listings.
So ends another Hodgepodge.  Thanks, Joyce, and happy Wednesday, everyone!

10 comments:

  1. You and I share the same favorite "place of quietude"...beside water and woods...Yes!! And that Strawberry Spinach salad looks wonderful! I eat some form of spinach salad every day for lunch (most days). I love that cute little card. You must let us know when you have these things on etsy. Is your etsy shop address listed here somewhere? Probably is, I just haven't noticed. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Places of quietude ... so precious. I need that every day, so my usual place of quietude is a corner of the living room. But beside water or woods is my very favorite.

      You asked about my Etsy shop -- and I have really procrastinated about linking to it here on my blog. But thanks to your mentioning it, I decided to go ahead and add the link. It's here in the sidebar just above the "search Amazon" widget. Hope you enjoy your visit!

      Delete
  2. Yes, relying on God's strength and not our own is really the answer, isn't it. What a wonderful place to enjoy your own personal quietude. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi~ I like to be outside too.
    The card is so sweet.
    Take Care,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I was going to participate until I reached the food list beginning with "v" and my mind went blank. 😊 I used to enjoy watching Survivor, but have not watched for over 15 years. That show must have been on a long, long time. Good for you with the sugar fast...will be interested to read more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. There's nothing like being beside water. Hmmm. I just thought of this: "He leadeth me beside the still water. He restoreth my soul." For me, it really is so therapeutic to be beside water, even a little tiny stream. I've never watched Survivor, for the reasons you named. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the verse you shared so peaceful and rewarding we also love to go to water when we need quiet time
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. A cute card indeed, I too enjoy being near water, so restful.
    I am not much for watching reality shows, however I did watch Survival the first two season, not anymore just to racy and not what I want to see.
    Curtailing sugar is so hard for me, I do admire you and your husband for your forty day fast.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. A cute card indeed, You must be so relieved to have this project almost completed.
    A beautiful verse about the Lords strength, Have you ever noticed of the many verses in the Bible of God's strength! Oh how I need it everyday.
    I too enjoy being near water, so restful.
    I am not much for watching reality shows, however I did watch Survival the first two season, not anymore just to racy and not what I want to see.
    Curtailing sugar is so hard for me, I do admire you and your husband for your forty day fast.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. You ladies with a name starting with "s" have it made when you go to the store...LOL! I have a friend who is doing an online Facebook study on the same book you referred to...she said it was excellent. So glad this was helpful to you...something we could benefit from, no doubt. Stay safe and well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.