Sunday, November 19, 2023

Sunday Scripture

 


Here's another in my most recent Sunday Scripture series.  I've been posting about my simple study of a little devotional journal titled Reflections: The Woman God Sees., by Jane L. Fryar -- a journal gifted me by some dear young friends   It has a daily devotional one works through -- about a month's worth or so.  It was a blessing to me when I worked through it, so I've been sharing here.  Several readers have told me they're enjoying it, and so we continue.  I think there are approximately ten devotionals left.  I may possibly switch to something more seasonal for December and then back to these again.  We will see!

The Scripture for today is Isaiah 61:3  Here's the assignment: "Isaiah 61:3 paints three before-and-after pictures.  Which of these is most meaningful to you personally?  Write about that picture."  I chose to SOAP Isaiah 61:1 and 3 as I considered this assignment.

S= "The LORD hath anointed Me to preach good tidings unto the meek; He hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound ..."To appoint unto those who mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness, that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that He might be glorified."  (Isaiah 61:1, 3)

O= Verses 1 through 3 of Isaiah 61 are titled by C.I. Scofield "Christ's two advents in one view."  He points out that Jesus read this passage from Isaiah in the synagogue at Nazareth.  We read this account in Luke 4:16-21.  

Believer's Bible Commentary notes, "We know that the Lord Jesus is the speaker here because He quoted verses 1-2a in the synagogue at Nazareth (Luke 4:16-21) and added, "Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing" (v. 21).

Scofield comments, "Observe that the Lord Jesus suspended the reading of this passage in the synagogue at Nazareth with the words 'year of the LORD'.  The first advent, therefore, opened the day of grace, 'the acceptable year of the LORD', but does not fulfill the day of vengeance that will be accomplished when Messiah comes."

Warren Wiersbe writes in Be Compassionate, his study of Luke chapters 1-13, "In sptte of the unbelief of the people of Nazareth, the Scriptures declared that Jesus of Nazareth is God's Son, the Messiah sent to fulfill His promises.  The people who do not want Him and who reject 'the acceptable year of the Lord' will one day face 'the day of vengeance' of our God (Isaiah 61:2).  How significant that Jesus stopped reading in that very place!"

A=  Here's how I answered the assignment "Isaiah 61:3 paints three before-and-after pictures.  Which of these is most meaningful to you personally?  Write about that picture.": 

I can relate to all of these pictures, but perhaps the most meaningful is "the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness".  A spirit of depression, unexplainable sadness, and dissatisfaction had been mine for a long time, but it has been replaced with a garment of praise as I praise God for His work in my life.  The "oil of joy for mourning" is another meaningful phrase.  Mourning over sin has been replaced with sheer joy -- joy in the Lord!  

And all of this is so that we may glorify Him, that we as oaks of righteousness, trees of His planting, will bring glory and praise to Him.

Warren Wiersbe adds a bit more to this thought in Be Comforted, his study of Isaiah:  "If you have trusted Christ as Savior, you have been set free from bondage, your spiritual debt to the Lord has been paid ... Instead of the ashes of mourning, you have a crown on your head, for He has made you a king.  You have been anointed with the oil of the Holy Spirit, and you wear a garment of righteousness ... All of God's people should be His trees, the planting of the LORD, that He might be glorified."

A question in the "As I Reflect" section asks, "Imagine yourself as an 'oak of righteousness', anchored firmly, 'the planting of the LORD'.  What confidence does that give you as a woman of faith?"

I replied,  "Anchored firmly, the planting of the LORD Himself!  How secure and steadfast that makes me feel!  I can stand strong in Him."

Many years ago I wrote a blog post called Trees of God's planting.  You can click on the name if you'd like to read it.

P= "Lord, how very, very thankful I am for all you have done in my life!  The word pictures in this portion of Isaiah are so meaningful.  I'm so blessed that not only have You replaced ashes with beauty, mourning with joy, and heaviness with praise -- you have also planted me firmly as 'an oak of righteousness'.  All so that I may bring glory to You with my life!  What a blessing!  What a privilege!  I can never thank and praise You enough -- and will spend eternity doing just that!  I praise You in Jesus' name, Amen."

And there is the Sunday Scripture for this week.  I hope it was a blessing to someone.  I enjoyed working on this one.

1 comment:

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.