Wednesday, November 01, 2023

First of November Hodgepodge

 

 Wednesday again, so it's time for the Hodgepodge -- the linkup where Joyce, at  From This Side of the Pond, asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers on their own blogs.   I'm a little late posting -- we were out of town with no internet access -- but today's questions are doable, so here we go!

1. Besides Thanksgiving (in the USA) what's one thing you're looking forward to in November? 

Special services at church with Morris Gleiser, starting Sunday.   We enjoy his ministry so much and are looking forward to seeing what God will do during these days.

2. Do you like candles? Your favorite scent? How often do you burn a candle in your home? 

I do like candles, but I do find I need to be careful what kind.  Currently I am using one called Pumpkin Marshmallow, and I like that one a lot.  I light a candle maybe every week or two at home, more often at our cottage.  I couldn't find that scent at Bath & Body to link to it (I've had this candle awhile), but maybe this one might be similar.

3. What gadgets did you use today? 

Hmmm ... I haven't done much in the kitchen yet today, and that might be the main place I would use a gadget.  I think the only thing I've used that might even remotely be considered a gadget is a tea bag holder.  Or maybe a dryer ball?  Or a toilet bowl brush?

4. This question is a repeat from one asked in November of 2014, but I liked it so it's coming round again. Many of you weren't here in 2014. Okay, you can have fifty pounds of something (anything but money)...what will you choose? Also, since I mentioned it...what were you up to in November of 2014? 

Fifty pounds of anything?  How about local, grass-fed beef?

In November 2014 I was feeling thankful and also I made a delicious autumn meal -- chicken stew and pumpkin biscuits -- that you might like to try. 


5. 'Tis the season...what's something you're feeling especially grateful for today? 

The blessings of friendship with fellow believers.   On Sunday, in addition to our fellowship at church, we  ate a late lunch with dear friends a couple of hours away, then spent two nights with a sweet older widow friend.  At her home we had the joy of meeting a new believer, a young mom, whom our friend has a Bible study with.  And then today I had my usual Wednesday phone call with my younger friend Jennifer.  We are memorizing the book of James together, and what a blessing it was to share the verses we have learned so far!

Lovely image by Abby at Little Birdie Blessings

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Even though I have an abundance of good quality time in the Bible every morning, I was challenged by an Instagram post from @Proverbs_31Life to choose a Scripture writing plan for November.  I chose this one from The Ruffled Mango and am planning to work on it each evening.  If you haven't done a Scripture writing plan recently, wouldn't November be the perfect month to do so?


That's the Hodgepodge for today!

8 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of the pumpkin scented candles. I love the scripture writing plan and think I'll try to do that as well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've participated in a scripture writing plan before and loved it. I need to start again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for inspiring me. Sorry for sounding dumb, but what's scripture writing? Is it like Bible journaling but more basic? I did click on the plan you are following but couldn't figure it out from that site either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just as you guessed ... like Bible journaling but more basic. You can just very simply write out the Scripture for each day in a notebook. Or you can do a bit more. The plan I shared suggests committing to spend 10 minutes meditating on each day's Scripture and then writing out what you have gleaned. I will probably just write it out as I am doing lots of other Bible reading and study already.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I didn't realize that was a Scripture writing plan. I saw it on someone else's FB page, and I thought it was reading plan. Now that intrigues me even more to think about writing about those Scriptures each day. I will need to look at that more closely and pray about it. I am not a big fan of scented candles at all. Many are just too strong. But I did have a nicely scented cinnamon spice candle burning last night in my ceramic jack o' lantern, and it smelled really nice. I may have to reconsider my ban on scented candles. LOL. Sounds like you have a wonderful month ahead, and what a blessing that you spend time with those friends and mentor them spiritually with Bible study, etc. That is truly wonderful. Thank you for serving the Lord that way. Happy November!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure enjoyed reading your gratefuls in #5. What a sweet blessing. We are meant for fellowship with one another. Happy November to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are quite a few hodgepodgers who would like to fill their freezers with 50 pounds of meat! I love the Bath & Body Works pumpkin candles but they were so hard to find this year. Demand outstripped the supply.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Realized I never commented from last week, so better late than never. I hope you have an amazing November. Enjoyed your answers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.