Sunday, March 17, 2024

Sunday Scripture

 


Here's another in our new series for Sunday Scripture!  Back in 2018, I did a simple study from Rachel Wojo called Everything Beautiful.  You can read about it here: Everything Beautiful Bible reading plan. My answers and input on this series are a combination of what I learned back then, and what I found in looking over the Scriptures now, six years later.  I'm attempting to SOAP the passages too, though some of them are longer. 

S= "Awake, awake; put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city: for henceforth there shall no more come unto thee the uncircumcised and the unclean.
"Shake thyself from the dust, arise, and sit down, O Jerusalem; loose thyself from the bands of thy neck, O captive daughter of Zion.
"For thus saith the LORD, Ye have sold yourselves for nothing, and ye shall be redeemed without money.
"For thus saith the Lord GOD: My people went down at the first into Egypt to sojourn there; and the Assyrian oppressed them without cause.
"Now, therefore, what have I here, saith the LORD, that My people are taken away for nothing?  They that rule over them make them to wail, saith the LORD, and My name continually every day is blasphemed.
"Therefore, My people shall know My name; therefore, they shall know in that day that I am He who doth speak; Lo, it is I.
"How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!"  (Isaiah 52:1-7)

O= This chapter is titled by C.I. Scofield in the Scofield Study Bible: "Vision of Jerusalem in the Kingdom Age".

My observations:

Through Isaiah, God says:

Awake, awake!
Put on your strength, O Zion
Put on your beautiful garments, Jerusalem, the holy city

FOR

The uncircumcised and unclean will no more enter your gates.

Jerusalem is directed to shake herself from the dust, to arise, and sit down. 
The daughter of Zion is directed to loose herself from the bands of her neck.

FOR

Thus says the LORD: You have sold yourself for nothing, and you will be redeemed without money.

FURTHER:

Thus says the LORD: My people went down to Egypt at the first to sojourn there.  The Assyrian oppressed them without cause.

THEREFORE:

What have I here, asks the Lord.
My people are taken away for nothing;
Those who rule over them make them to wail.
My name is blasphemed continually every day.

THEREFORE:

My people shall know My name;
They shall know that I am speaking.
Good tidings are coming to Zion: the beautiful message of salvation and sovereignty: 

Thy God reigns!

Cross-reference for "without money" (v. 3) -- "I have raised Him up in righteousness, and I will direct all His ways; He shall build My city, and He shall let go My captives, not for price nor reward, saith the LORD of hosts."  (Isaiah 45:13)

For "redeemed" (v. 3) -- "For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is His name; and thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; the God of the whole earth shall He be called."  (Isaiah 54:5)

"Break forth into joy; sing together, ye waste places of Jerusalem, for the LORD hath comforted His people; He hath redeemed Jerusalem."  (Isaiah 52:9)

For "Egypt" (v. 4) -- "And they took their cattle and their goods, which they had gotten in the land of Canaan, and came into Egypt, Jacob, and all his seed with him."  (Genesis 46:6)

For "wail" or "howl" (v. 5) -- "Behold, My servants shall sing for joy of heart, but ye shall cry for sorrow of heart, and shall wail for vexation of spirit." (Isaiah 65:13)

For "feet" (v. 7) -- "Behold upon the mountains the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace!  O Judah, keep thy solemn feasts, perform thy vows; for the wicked shall no more pass through thee; he is utterly cut off."  (Nahum 1:15)

"And how shall they preach, except they be sent?  As it is written, how beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!"  (Romans 10:15)

For "tidings" (v. 7) -- "The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; He hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound."  (Isaiah 61:1)

A= For this Scripture, there were a number of ways to apply it as prompted in the journal.  

"A devoted messenger who spreads good news reveals beauty beyond the mirror." -- Rachel Wojo

The question was asked: What season or circumstance in life challenges me to see God's gift of beauty?

My response in 2018: This recent injury has really sidelined me.  I had a very rough night and so am pretty much useless today.   And yet outside the window is the glory of the snow!

Answering this same question in 2024

My response: I am going to say Mud Season, which is a season unique to New England, especially New Hampshire and Vermont.  Another thing that can challenge me to see God's gift of beauty is when we see seasons of discontent in a church, a family, a school, or a workplace.  I've come to believe that, although discontentment can arise for many reasons, it seems to occur seasonally as well.  Keeping our eyes on God and the beauty of our salvation could really help our perspective.

This prompt was given, along with a list: Today I will keep my eyes open for God's beauty in one or more of these places.

These are the places I circled: The words I read; the music I hear; the air I breathe; the people I encounter; the weather I experience; the rest I receive.

In 2024 I can note that the words I read include those from Stand Firm, a Bible study on the armor of God from the Daily Grace Co.  I believe it is currently on sale for $5, though that could change at any time.   This quote, from the chapter on being shod with the readiness of the gospel of peace, encouraged me so much:

"A solid foundation in our understanding of the gospel of peace brings hope to any circumstance we may face in this lifetime and enables us to share our hope with others ... Our foundation -- our footing -- is found in the perfect peace offered through the hope of the gospel.  That foundation allows us to ... move toward others in light of that hope.
 
"For those around us, our lives and words serve as a testimony to the peace we have found in Christ.  We can point them to the only One who offers us true comfort and rest.  The gospel message is a message of peace that speaks into every broken part of this world.  In seasons of hardship or suffering, brokenness or doubt, the gospel serves as an anchor for our souls, keeping us firmly planted in the peace of Jesus."

 For the people I encounter, I noted this: Here at TWNE, it's a blessing to know people who are using every gift, talent, and skill they possess to the utmost.  All to the glory of God!  It's so good to spend time at meals with other believers sharing and encouraging one another.

For the weather I experience, I noted: It's been rainy this week, but yesterday God provided a dry day to complete an outdoor project.

And for the rest I receive, I saw that even though we were working hard, we were sleeping well.  So thankful for a comfortable room to stay in as we serve here.

A journaling prompt was this: List one or more ideas to remind myself to intentionally look for God's beauty throughout the day.

My response in 2018: Look out the window frequently to see the beautiful snow-covered trees and landscape.  Go out and walk on the screened porch periodically to take in the snowy fresh air.

My response in 2024: We were at our volunteer jobs at The Wilds of New England as I worked through this again.  It was raining the day that I wrote this, but I noted, "This campsite is beautiful in any weather, and I look out the windows often."


(Photos above from last winter.  The snow is all gone now.)

P= "Lord, in 2018 I was choosing to be thankful for the physical difficulty You had allowed, reminding myself that Your Word says, 'In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.'  The injury was uncomfortable and even outright painful at times    Yet I could thank You for it and could trust You to use it for good in my life.

"Now, in 2024, it's exciting to look back and see how far You have brought me physically since then, and to see how You have given me strength, stamina, and energy to serve You at the Wilds of New England and elsewhere.   

 "I thank and praise You in  Jesus' name, Amen."

And there is the Sunday Scripture for this week!  I'd love some input on this series so far.  Wouldn't you like to share your thoughts with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.