Wednesday, February 21, 2018

February 21 Hodgepodge


That means it's time for the Hodgepodge with Joyce and friends at From This Side of the Pond.  Head on over, get the questions, and then answer them on your own blog (or in the comments if you don't have a blog).  Then go over to Joyce's to link up!   Here are this week's questions:

1. Where do you go when you need some inspiration?

 Well, it depends on what sort of inspiration I need.  If it's inspiration for daily life, I will go to the Bible.  Daily devotional books of old can be very inspiring, too.  Streams in the Desert is one of my favorites.  I also have a Pinterest board titled Inspirational Thoughts and Words that I will often turn to.

If I need inspiration as to what to put on the week's menus or what to cook for supper or take to the church potluck lunch, I will usually turn to my Gooseberry Patch cookbooks or to back issues of Taste of Home, or sometimes even to my own handwritten cookbooks.

Inspiration for blog posts -- I can find that anywhere.  I seldom need to go looking for ideas.  What I lack when it comes to blogging isn't inspiration -- it's time.

 Inspiration for crafting: I go to my own UFOs, my trunk full of cross stitch and embroidery patterns, my Pinterest boards, a handful of creative and crafty websites -- sometimes even to my own imagination.
 
Inspiration for handmade gifts -- my Pinterest boards or my notebook of saved craft ideas.  Oh yes, and a folder or three of ideas I've saved on my computer desktop.

Inspiration for gifts to buy -- usually my grandkids' Amazon wish lists.

Inspiration for seasonal decorating -- my Pinterest boards and my own imagination.

I guess I'll stop with that.  I do get a lot of inspiration from my Pinterest boards (you can follow me in the sidebar), but I seldom browse or search Pinterest as such.  I'll just go to my own boards where I have tons of ideas pinned.
 

2. What's under your bed?

 You would have to ask that, wouldn't you?
1) Dust.
2) Two underbed storage totes full of gift wrap, one for everyday and one for Christmas.
3) A cardboard box containing a partial book manuscript.
4) A plastic box containing the materials for making decorations out of old Christmas cards.
5) Two plastic boxes full of gift items.
6) A metal underbed storage box containing an antique quilt wrapped in paper.

3. Thursday, February 22nd is National Chili Day, National Margarita Day, and National Cook a Sweet Potato Day. Of the three which would you most like to celebrate? Is that likely?

I would probably most like to celebrate National Chili Day.  I was actually thinking of making chili this week but it would probably be on Friday.  On Thursday, I would be more likely to cook a sweet potato.  Maybe just for myself for lunch, or maybe I'll roast some sweet potatoes as a side dish with supper.  No Margaritas here.

4. What are you 'snowed under' with right now?

Vintage items that need to be sold.

 
5. Tell us three to five things that make you feel balanced?

Sunshine and fresh air; sleep; exercise; quality devotional life; creativity.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 
 Our weather is unseasonably warm today.  If the sun comes out this afternoon, I'm going to go for a walk! 

22 comments:

  1. I am inspired by your methods of inspiration!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara! I may have over-thought the question!

      Delete
  2. I'm headed for a walk as well. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you had a good week, too, Katie! Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  3. I sure hope you get that walk in. Unseasonably warm sounds wonderful! I'm headed to the southern part of the state. It might be a degree warmer there. Lol Hope you have a great and inspirational day! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A degree warmer, ha ha. It doesn't look much warmer given the icy picture you posted on IG. It actually got up to 70º here on Wednesday!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic list of inspiration places. I agree with your list of 5 things to be balanced.
    Enjoy your walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy! Glad you like my balanced list. I probably could have used 6 or 7 things, but this list works!

      Delete
  5. Mrs T, I thought of you yesterday. I was at the Used Book Room at the Library and I came across six old IDEALS magazines. They were 25 cents each and I could not resist them. I will be doing a blog post on them next week. So un to sit and enjoy the OLDEN days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not have resisted them either, Arlene! I have some very old ones (early 1950s) and will be selling them in the Etsy shop, I hope. These are the smaller size for Mother's Day and so on.

      I have always loved the Ideals magazines ever since I was a little girl and would read them at my grandmother's. Enjoy yours, and I will be looking forward to your post when you are able to type one.

      Delete
  6. I spend a lot of time on Pinterest...following you now. That sounded creepy LOL, but you know what I mean. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know what you mean, no creepiness! Glad to have you following. I pin a lot of ideas and good reads that I come across. Hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  7. I think the whole eastern seaboard is under that warm spell...near 80 here this week! Of course that's the way it goes around here...0 to 60 in 2 seconds flat! Too hot for chili for our liking...not sure what will be on the menu for Thursday...we are just now getting our appetites back. I would be perfectly satisfied if mine would stay away a little longer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was around 70º here on Wednesday. Loved it!

      Glad you are feeling better!

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed your post! Hope you got that walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did, Terri! See my reply to Vee, below, for details!

      Delete
  9. I’m pretty sure that you were able to go for a springy walk. Wasn’t it lovely to have some warmer weather?! Lots of snow and ice melted away this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was. A short walk, but it was by a lake so doubly nice. That one day (Wednesday) my hubby and I drove to Lake Winnipesaukee and found a place to walk, sit on a sunny dock, and go out for a quick lunch. A splendid few hours indeed. Of course the lake is still mostly ice covered, but still so beautiful. I was completely lazy and didn't get photos.

      Delete
  10. Yippee for a winter walk. I enjoyed and related to most of your hodgepodge. Had to put in most since I do drink margaritas. :) I've been following you on instagram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen!

      Yes, I've seen you on Instagram! And I've been following you also.

      Hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  11. What do you call your etsy shop? I'm interested in visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mrs. Doug,

    It is called A New Hampshire Attic. Happy Browsing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.