Wednesday, August 23, 2017

August 23 Hodgepodge


This gorgeous photo is by Abby at Little Birdie Blessings
 Not sure how this happened, but it's Wednesday again, and time for the Hodgepodge with Joyce and friends at From This Side of the Pond.  Head on over and get the questions, answer them on your own blog and then jet back to Joyce's and link up!

And now to this week's questions:

1. Did you watch the solar eclipse? Your thoughts? 

I did not.  I wish that I had at least watched it online, or gone outside and looked for shadows on the ground.  By all accounts it was spectacular in totality, and fun to observe even not in totality.  What a testimony to the fact that "The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament showeth His handiwork."  (Psalm 19:1)

Sun Chips, Moon Pies, Starburst candies, a Blue Moon beer, a Sunkist orange, or a Milky Way candy bar...what's your favorite eclipse related snack on this list?

Of those on the list, probably a Milky Way candy bar.  Does anyone remember Sky Bars?  Every bar had four distinct sections and each one had a different filling: fudge, caramel, peanut, and vanilla nougat.  Those candy bars were my very favorite as a teen.

Image found on Amazon, where you can still buy these!
2. What are you 'over the moon' about these days? 

You know, I really can't think of anything.

What's something you enjoy doing every 'once in a blue moon'?

Probably eating some truly unhealthy but delicious food -- like "fair food", for example -- fried dough, or onion rings.  Probably every couple of years is as often as we do this.  The picture above is a cider doughnut sundae at the Deerfield Fair a couple of years ago.

3. Tell us about something in the realm of science that interests you. 

I guess one thing would be wildflowers ... that would be botany, right?

How do you feed that interest?

My father-in-law kept a list of wildflowers he saw each year, and where he saw them, and what date.  I keep a sort of mental list, but I really should do as he did and write it down.  I also take pictures (not very good ones) of wildflowers I see,  and research unfamiliar ones in a couple of good wildflower books I own.

4. What are a few things you remember about going back to school as a child?

Book covers -- remember when we were required to cover our books?  I think that was more in high school, though.  Gym suits -- any girls remember having to wear those?  No wonder so many girls disliked phys ed!  One nice thing I remember was new clothes.  My mother always sewed a few new outfits of my choice, or I ordered some from Sears.  Always so much fun when the fall catalog came out and we got a look at the new styles for back to school!
Vintage ad for school pictures
5. I've seen several versions of this around the net so let's make one of our own...share with us five words that touch your soul and briefly tell us why.

Not sure if this is meant to be a list of five words or a phrase.  I'm choosing "The LORD is my shepherd."  It's incredibly meaningful to realize that the God of the universe, the Creator of all things, the One who just orchestrated that solar eclipse, is my shepherd, caring for me, guiding me, directing and protecting me.
6.  Insert your own random thought here. 

I need to bring this post to a close as it's late and we're experiencing a thunderstorm.

26 comments:

  1. School has changed a lot since we were children. I did a bit of a post on that today as well. I wonder if I would have learned more in this new day of education versus the rote method of learning most of my teachers employed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder the same thing, Arlene! I hadn't really thought too much about that until you brought it up.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love your five words. just perfect! I remember making book covers from brown grocery sacks...di you ever do that? Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Debby. I realize now that it was probably supposed to be a list of words, but I stand by my choice!

      And yes, we did make book covers from brown grocery sacks! Remember when ice cream was carried home from the store in heavy paper freezer bags? Those were the type I preferred to use on a certain size of textbook, because they didn't need to be cut down.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, I remember gym suits. Our school had these truly horrendous ones....one-piece with a zipper all the way up the front, striped on top and blue on the bottom. They were so stretchy we could wear the same one from 7th grade all the way through 12th grade. Girls today have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our gym suits were the same one-piece, zip-up style, with elastic at the leg openings to make them sort of blousy looking. Ours were plain blue. One year my mother had my aunt (who lived near the city) pick up one that was a more attractive style, with the legs looking more like shorts.

      Delete
  4. Your school memories were similar to mine on all things you mentioned. I loved your five words...I would have tried to come up with 5 different words. Like yours much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Sandy! I love those five words, but others have come up with some pretty good ones, too.

      Delete
  5. I love your memories of back-to-school days. And yes, we had to cover our books! And those horrid gym suits that we wore. I think we actually got replacements half way through the year, which wasn't nearly often enough. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like our school days memories are much the same, Judy!

      Delete
  6. The Hodge rolls around fast. I, too, feel as if I missed out on the eclipse. We get to experience another total eclipse in 2024 and right over the Northeast. If I'm still around, I hope I'll do better. It sure was fun to read about it from other's viewpoints.

    I remember having to cover books starting in third grade. It used to be a big pain. 🤓

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope to do better in 2024 if I'm still around. Just wasn't thinking! It was very fun to read and see what others saw.

      Yes, book covers were a big pain. In high school, we were able to purchase book covers specific to our school. I liked those much better as they were easier to use.

      Delete
  7. I've never heard of Sky Bars, but boy do they sound yummy! I've never had a cider doughnut sundae either, and you're going to make me very hungry with this post, aren't you? haha

    I think that it is cool your father-in-law had a wildflower journal. I take pictures of them each year, and post them, but I really should create a journal for when/where/what we see on our wildflower hunts. I think that is a great idea!

    I remember those brown book covers.

    What a wonderful choice of phrases! "The LORD is my shepherd" is a beautiful thought to hold onto.

    I hope that your storm passed quickly. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sky Bars were delicious! If a vending machine had them back in the day (and not all did) it was my candy bar of choice. I liked eating one square at a time. I haven't tasted one in recent years, but I imagine they're still pretty tasty!

      I'd like to create a wildflower journal too. Be sure and post about it if you do.

      I thought your own five words were extremely meaningful also. I think you chose "I will never leave thee" and that is such a blessed thought!

      Delete
  8. Gym suits and grocery bag covers for our text books -- oh yes. I remember them well!

    The Lord is my shepherd -- I wish I had thought to use that!

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of similar memories here! I love the phrase "The LORD is my shepherd" -- it was the first thing that came to my mind. So simple, yet such depth of meaning!

      Delete
  9. I don't recall having to cover our books but they always gave us book covers that we could use if we wanted to. Most of us did. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a great week too, David. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. your "unhealthy" food looks delicious ! I love wild flowers too although I don't know their names !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious, Gattina! A cider doughnut topped with French vanilla ice cream, caramel syrup, and whipped cream!

      Delete
  11. how great you too know that every delicious food is unhealthy these days.
    i am sorry you did not see the eclipse ,we live in south Asia so only saw the partial i mean did not see it personally but heard in news ,as it occurred late night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wasn't looking as I should have been, Baili. Others in my area saw some interesting things that day.

      And yes, every delicious food seems to be unhealthy!

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed your hodgepodge! How did your trip go this summer? Did you make it to Idaho? We did get to see a partial eclipse here, and it was pretty amazing, and I am with you on the 5-word statement, so thankful the Lord is our Shepherd in this crazy world we live in! Hugs to you today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn! Our trip was great. Yes, we did get to Idaho but Arco was as far north as we got. Not very! Sure wish we would've been closer to you and able to get together. Maybe another time. After my hubby retires, we will stay longer on our trips out west, so no doubt there will be times when we get further north in Idaho.

      Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  13. I wish I would have watched it too. So much hype about not looking that I was afraid yet we only had a partial here. I've never heard of a Sky Bar. I do remember book covers, great answer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sky Bars are good ... it's been a long time since I tasted one, but it's sort of neat to realize they are still around.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.