Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Marvelous May Hodgepodge


 Wednesday again, and time to think about the Hodgepodge at From This Side of the Pond!  Joyce asks the questions (and she's reducing the number to five!) and bloggers answer on their own blogs, then link up.  If you've never joined in, this is a great time.  Five questions are far less intimidating than seven, so why not give the Hodgepodge a try this week?  Here goes with my effort:

1. Share a favorite memory of your mother or share a favorite something from your own life as a mother.

 This is a difficult question.  One of my most favorite memories of my mother was how much she loved blueberry picking.  Some of my happiest childhood days were spent with the family picking low-bush blueberries on a ledgy mountaintop or high-bush blueberries in a cow pasture.  My mother taught us to always wear a belt when blueberry picking so we could hang an empty lard pail from it, and thus have both hands free for picking berries.  When the lard pails were full, we emptied them into larger buckets.  And one of my last, best, memories of my mother was a  day when she was much older and we took a jaunt together to some high-bush blueberries we'd learned about. 



If you're a mother (or stepmom) tell us how your experience as a mom differs from your own mother's experience.

 My husband has always been a hands-on type of dad, even from the newborn stage on.  My dad was not so much, although I remember him washing the dishes almost every night, so he did help.  He also oversaw our tooth-brushing every night, and he administered quite a bit of discipline.  He was also great about letting us kids help with things that he was doing.  But I always had a good bit more help with the kids from my husband than what my mom had. 

2. In May we celebrate teachers (May 9) and nurses (May 6) both. Most every family has at least one in their midst, so tell us something (or a few things) you appreciate about the teacher or nurse on your family tree.
These four little girls all grew up to become teachers.
My mother and her three sisters all ended up being teachers, although they all stepped away from teaching to raise families.  My youngest aunt did go back to teaching later on and would travel from school to school teaching handwriting.  All of my aunts taught me many things by their examples of being wonderful homemakers, fantastic cooks,  and dedicated mothers.

3. Chicken salad, egg salad, tuna salad...which would you go for if all three were on the menu? 

Chicken salad, hands down, though I enjoy all of them. 

On bread or a bed of lettuce? If you answered bread, what kind of bread would make it the perfect sandwich?

 Either way is good, although of course lettuce is healthier.  But if I was going for the perfect sandwich, I would pick a croissant with plenty of lettuce, perfectly ripe tomato, and mayo. Or just lettuce, mayo, and sliced cranberry sauce would also be wonderful.

4. Do you have a desk? 

I do -- two, in fact: a computer desk and what I call my "crafting desk".

My crafting desk in a rarely seen, cleared-off moment.
Is it organized?

One is slightly more so than the other: the crafting desk, which is smaller.

 If so, share your secret to keeping it that way. 

I'm hoping to read others' secrets to doing so.

If you don't have a desk, where in your home do you take care of family paperwork and business? 

I do my dad's paperwork and business at my crafting desk as it usually has more free space on it.  My hubby does our paperwork and church paperwork (he maintains the checkbooks for two of the church accounts) at the dining room table.  I work on my Sunday School lessons and writing projects at the computer.

Where do you normally sit to blog?

 At the computer desk as, logically enough, that's where the desktop computer is.  I don't own a laptop and -- although I can blog using my tablet -- I prefer a larger keyboard.

5. When I was nine years old.... 
So this must be the thought question.  (Joyce promised she was still going to be making us think, even with fewer questions.)  Hmmm .. at nine years old I would have been in the fourth grade.  One of the few things I remember from that year is that, sadly enough, it was the year I learned to tell time.  Although I was a fast and early learner in some areas (like reading, for example), I was a pathetically slow learner in others.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

A house I pass frequently (on my way to/from the grocery store, etc.) has glorious grounds and plantings.  Here's what it looked like Monday in a part of their yard:
 I thought the juxtaposition of colors just beautiful.  Hope you've enjoyed today's Hodgepodge.  Happy Wednesday!

21 comments:

  1. What great photos from long ago. That's wonderful that all four girls grew up to be teachers! Think of all the lives they have made a positive impact on. Blueberry picking sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, Ann. So many lives were impacted by those four teachers. Yes, blueberry picking was loads of fun. Always a great time that we kids looked forward to.

      Delete
  2. All four grew up to be teachers? That is amazing and wonderful! My son is a hands on dad, but no one prior to him was. =D

    You'll get no tips from me about desk clearing, Missy. Ha!

    Now my mother loved picking berries, too, and I didn't even think of it until now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS amazing and wonderful, Vee. When I stop and think that when the first three girls were little, they lived in a place infested by rats, and then that in time their parents were able to send all four to college ... well, it just defies imagination.

      I laughed out loud when I read "You'll get no desk clearing tips from me, Missy!". Seemed as if I could just hear your tone of voice.

      That is neat that both of our mothers loved picking berries!

      Delete
  3. Wow...that garden is breathtaking! Loved the old photos you posted...such treasures! Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, April! Happy Mother's Day to you!

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous yard your neighbor has! Darling pic of you. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that an amazing yard, Katie? That picture only shows a small portion of it.

      Delete
  5. I love hearing stories like these from my blog friends. I always learn something new!! Thank you so much for your sweet comment on Baylor yesterday. I so appreciate the prayers of my blog friends for our special boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I love about the Hodgepodge, Arlene. You should join in some week! It's more fun than ever with the new 5-question format.

      Oh, it is my privilege to pray for Baylor and his family. I love hearing how God is answering!

      Delete
  6. I thought the same thing...I am anxious to hear other's tips on a neat desk. Mine rarely is it seems. The blueberry memory is a good one. And the tip on wearing a belt could only be taught by a pro, lol. What a gorgeous garden! Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still waiting for some really good tips on a neat desk, Debbie. My computer desk where I write and blog is always covered with books and papers!

      Happy Mother's Day to you too, Debbie!

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful garden! Our yard is a work in progress since our landscaping is new. I have some azaleas that were beautiful when they bloomed, but they're still quite small. Gardners are rewarded over time though, right? Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it lovely, Joyce? My son snapped that pic with his phone. It only shows a portion of the beautiful yard that these people have. In summer it really comes into its own. I will have to see if I can get more pics this summer and show how it looks in other seasons.

      Happy Mother's Day to you, too, Joyce!

      Delete
  8. I love that memory of picking blueberries. I've never picked them. That is a lovely yard you pass. Hope you have a lovely Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Debby, I hope someday you can pick blueberries. U-Pick places are fine, but nothing beats picking wild blueberries on a mountain top with a panoramic view!

      Hope you have a lovely Mother's Day as well!

      Delete
  9. I really enjoyed your answers and that memory of the blueberries is just priceless....and that is pretty amazing that all four of them became teachers! WOW...that garden is so lovely! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the answers, Debby. There is just nothing like the Hodgepodge for getting to know other bloggers. Your own answers were so interesting too.

      Happy Mother's Day to you as well!

      Delete
  10. 'I'm hoping to read others' secrets to doing so,' just cracked me up. Yeah, me too! LOL Your memories of blueberry picking brought back memories of my own, when my mom and I would put on long sleeved shirts and go out to pick blackberries, not nearly as picker-friendly as blueberries, and not quite as good either. What a lovely mom memory that is, though. Hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picking blackberries is fun too, in its way. We had a blackberry patch near where my dad's sawmill was. It had some of the glossiest, largest, blackberries I have ever seen growing wild.

      Yes, those are wonderful memories to have. I'm glad Joyce asked that question as it really made me think.

      A blessed Mother's Day to you as well, Judy!

      Delete
  11. I've been bouncing from one Hodge Podge to the next and so happy I landed here. Such sweet memories!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.