Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Mid-May Hodgepodge


Here we are -- it's Wednesday again.  They sure do come around swiftly.  And since it's Wednesday, that means it's time for the Hodgepodge with Joyce and the gang at From This Side of the Pond.  Joyce asks the questions: bloggers copy and paste, then answer the questions on their own blogs.  It's an easy process, so why not jump in and join the Hodgepodge this week?   Here we go!

1. May 17th is National Pack Rat Day. Sidebar-should we be celebrating this? Hmmm...
Are you a pack rat? Even if you're not a full fledged pack rat, most people have one thing or another they struggle to part with. Tell us what's yours.


 To name a few ....
Cookbook I learned to cook with
Circus carafe from my grandmother's kitchen
Sugar and creamer just like my grandmother had at the family camp
Vintage cookbooklets I've acquired
The tooth fairy brought me this back in the day!
No, I'm not at all sure that we should be celebrating this.   I would have to admit that I am somewhat of a pack rat.  Vintage items and memorabilia are probably the hardest things to part with.  That said, I am actively working at decluttering and purging.

2. What are two things you know you should know how to do, but you don't?

 Changing a tire and reading music.

3. Do you crave sugar? 

Not sure that I really crave it, but I do enjoy sweets.
Strawberry Lovers' Pie
 Do you add sugar to your coffee and/or tea? 

No; I drink tea black, and coffee with cream only.

Do you use artificial sweeteners or sugar substitutes? 

No, I don't.

When dining out is dessert a given? 

No, it isn't.  We seldom have room for dessert when dining out.

Are you someone who has slain the sugar dragon, and if so tell us how you did it.

 I eat a lot less sugar than I did, but I wouldn't say the dragon has a stake through its heart yet.

Coconut Pudding Dessert

4. What's a trend it took a while for you to come round to, but now you can't imagine living without?

Hmmm.... now this is a long time ago, but probably a microwave.  I use mine quite a bit for cooking and for various steps in a recipe, not just reheating.

5. What's a song that reminds you of a specific incident in your life? Please elaborate.


The Gospel song "The Lighthouse" by Ronnie Hinson.  Here are the lyrics:

 There's a Lighthouse on the hillside
that overlooks life's sea.
When I'm tossed it sends out a light
that I might see.
And the light that shines in the darkness,
now will safely lead us o'er.
If it wasn't for the lighthouse
that ship would be no more.


Everybody that lives around me says,
tear that lighthouse down,
The big ships don't sail this way anymore,
there's no use of it standing 'round.
Then my mind goes back to that stormy night,
when just in time I saw the light,
Yes, the light from that old lighthouse,
that stands up there on the hill.


And I thank God for the Lighthouse,
I owe my life to Him,
For Jesus is the Lighthouse,
and from the rocks of sin
He has shone a light around me
that I can clearly see,
If it wasn't for the Lighthouse
where would this ship be?


I love this song and it reminds me of the decision I made to trust Jesus as my personal Savior at a very stormy, dark time in my life -- the most important decision I have ever made or ever will make.   This song says it all.
Light at Pemaquid Point
And just for fun ... three grandkids inside the Pemaquid Point lighthouse.
6. Insert your own random thought here. 

The most exciting thing on my mind right now is that just  yesterday we finalized our plans for our trip to Nevada to visit loved ones.  This is a gigantic relief to me.  It was beginning to feel just like a logic puzzle ... you know, if Bill, Bob and Betty are all at the library, and Betty is doing research, Bob works 30 hours a week, and Bill replaces books on the shelves, what time is the story hour?  (Maybe a bit of an extreme example.)  Those logic puzzles that aren't very logical.  I used to be quite good at them, but I find myself getting more confused by details as time goes on.  In my case, the details involved choosing between 4 airports (2 on either end), whether or not hotels would be necessary on both ends, if a bus to/from Boston would be needed (and if so, would it line up with the flights), and how to do all this in the least expensive way possible.  I'm thankful, so thankful, that my hubby had the day off yesterday and that we sorted it out together and got great (nonstop!) flights at a great price.
Beautiful Nevada -- where we're headed
Happy Hodgepodge Day, everyone!

18 comments:

  1. Oh that trip to Nevada has to be very exciting. To see your dear ones after a long stretch of time will be such joy!

    I couldn't believe that I made a Rhubarb Custard Pie...the first in many years... and we get Hodge Podge questions like these. Ha!

    Looks as if we have the same sorts of responses...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS exciting, Vee! Daunting ... and summer is not my favorite season out there, but it is the time we have and it will be wonderful.

      I checked out that Rhubarb Custard Pie recipe. Wow! A lattice crust! I think that may fall under the category of something I should know how to do, but don't.

      Our responses do seem somewhat similar, don't they?

      Delete
  2. That's so neat that you still have some of the items you had when you were a child. Those are special things with so many memories attached! Enjoyed reading your post with all the photos to illustrate what you were writing about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are special, Ann. I could have put in dozens more photos of my vintage stash, but showed restraint! Sadly, the carafe has been broken since the picture was taken, so I'm very happy I have the picture.

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your trip to Nevada. I hate details like that as well. I love every picture at the top. Those are the items I have a hard time parting with as well, especially old books. I just love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the vintage items, Sandy. I am getting better at parting with old books as time goes by. My parents had books in nearly every room of their house, which was a good thing at the time but now is quite a headache deciding what to do with all of them.

      And yes, details ... my head has been swimming and still is, but I am truly thankful the most urgent of the travel details have been sorted out.

      Delete
  4. I was never good at logic puzzles. Your grandchildren are darling. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to enjoy logic puzzles and could usually come up with the right answer, Katie, but not any more. This real-life puzzle was a stumper for me. Thankful it's sorted out now.

      The pic of the kids in the lighthouse was taken in 2015. The granddaughter on the right is one of the six grands from Nevada.

      Delete
  5. Oh it's always soo nice to get travel plans all straightened out. Enjoy your trip! Your grandkids are cuties! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Debbie! I am so thankful. It's still a couple months away, but getting those tickets off my mind is a gigantic blessing.

      Thanks for stopping by -- and you have a great week, also!

      Delete
  6. Oh I know what those logic puzzles are like! Good description. LOL and I'm with you on the sugar thing. No stake through its heart. :-) CUTE grandkids. You have permission to get rid of the cookbooks, but don't EVER throw that Woodland Flowers book away! And lastly, but not certainly least, the decision to follow Jesus. Love it. It's not a matter of praying a prayer and really meaning it and then going on as lord of our own lives, but actually following Him, relinquishing the throne to the actual King and Lord of the universe. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to believe I once welcomed the challenge of such puzzles, isn't it? No, I won't throw the Woodland Flowers book away. I also received the companion volume, Field Flowers, for another tooth.

      Yes, you are so right in your thoughts about the decision to truly trust and follow Jesus. Truly, He is the Lord God omnipotent (Revelation 19:6) and He reigns over all.

      Delete
  7. I agree with you about letting go of vintage items..in fact, I just don't. I know that when I am finished with them, both of my boys love getting things passed down to them. I have never been out west but I would like to visit the states out there one day. Your song "The Lighthouse" brings to mind a few memories of my own...special friends from years ago who sang it often. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, my daughters are usually quite happy to receive vintage items.

      So far we have visited parts of Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Idaho -- and I guess that's all. It's very different -- and everything is so much "newer" than the East Coast, but it is beautiful and a culture all its own.

      I have always liked "The Lighthouse" -- it always brings back memories and of course, the Lord still lights my way today.

      Delete
  8. I am definitely with you on your answer to #1, how can we part with those treasures! That coconut pudding dessert looks delicious. I know what you mean about your trip. We finally got all our plans for made for my husband and I to be at our sons wedding in Cancun in November and the plans for our daughter and SIL to travel from Montana to Cancun. That was a tough one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These hodgepodge questions and answers are so fun! I enjoyed your memories shared. The Lighthouse song is a special song to me as well, as I grew up on PEI with all the lighthouses, and it just always spoke to my heart. We are not big on sugar here either, but like you, the dragon has not been killed either, lol! And I love your vintage cookbooks! I have had to resist from going to yard sales & thrift stores now because I simply have NO room to store or put anything new, living in such small square footage as we do. I do have a small collection of cookbooks though, and my favorite is the Betty Crocker one from the 50s. And the logic puzzle of trying to plan a trip, oh I feel your pain! It sounds like you had quite a job ahead of you to figure the trip out, but thankfully your husband and you together got it figured out with a good deal to sweeten the deal, yeah! So happy for you both! Hugs to you today :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you worked out your trip to Nevada, Mrs T. I used to enjoy those logic puzzles but now days not sure if my brain would be able to figure one out.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Arlene. I once enjoyed those puzzles. I would like to try one just for fun. But this real life one, involving real time, money, and logistics, was just too much!😉

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.