Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Something's Fishy Hodgepodge


Lobster boats in harbor, Freeport, Maine
It's Wednesday, time again to join in with the Hodgepodge with Joyce and friends at From This Side of the Pond.   Joyce asks the questions on Tuesdays and bloggers post their answers on Wednesdays.  It's always fun to try and come up with answers, and this also is a great way to get to know other bloggers better.  This week's questions have somewhat of a fishy flavor.

1. Have you ever been fishing? Did you catch a fish? If so did you keep it or throw it back? If you haven't been fishing is that something you'd like to try?

Yes, my dad often took us fishing (or let us go by ourselves) when the brook near our home was freshly stocked with trout.   I never baited my own hook (I could not stand to handle the worms!), but I did on occasion catch a fish.  My mom rolled the cleaned trout in cornmeal and pan fried them.  The flavor was good but there were too many bones to suit me.

I have also been deep-sea fishing once and felt horrible the entire time.
Grandsons trying out a fish-shaped chair, Wiscasset, Maine
Fish out of water, big fish in a small pond, living in a fishbowl, packed in like sardines, this is a fine kettle of fish, plenty of fish in the sea, or cut bait...which fishy phrase most recently applies to some area of your life?

Let's see ... Maybe a fine kettle of fish.  Life is like that quite a lot.
Exploring a tide pool, Reid State Park, Georgetown, Maine
2. What's something you're always fishing for in your purse, wallet, desk, or kitchen junk drawer?

 In my purse, it's usually a pen.  In my desk, a paper clip.  In the junk drawer, usually a tack or push pin.  In the side pocket of the car door, usually an antacid.
Sand crab
3. Your favorite fish tale or movie?

I love the Bible account in John 21 where Jesus cooks an open-air breakfast of fish and bread for the disciples after His resurrection.  I just love the fact that He did that for them: cooked a meal and then invited them to "come and dine."
Grandkids watching fishermen in Crawford Notch State Park, NH
4. Are you sunrise, daylight, twilight or night? Explain why you chose your answer.

Hmmm....  I guess I would pick sunrise.  I like getting up early and getting a good start on my day.
Sunrise taken from the bus station one year while heading for the airport to travel west
5. What's the oldest piece of clothing you own and still wear?

I think it may be a long-sleeved t-shirt someone gave me with a bunch of other clothes in 1991 or so.  Actually, there are two -- an ecru colored one and a faded red one.  They were already used when I got them, so they are OLD.  But one of those basics  that never goes out of style.  At this point I mostly wear them under sweaters, etc., but I do still wear both of them.

6. We've got one more month of (officially) winter here in the Northern hemisphere. Are you feeling the need for a getaway? What's been the best and worst part of your winter so far?

I am definitely feeling the need for a getaway. It probably won't be to anyplace warm, but when my hubby gets a Saturday off (not likely for quite some time) we hope to at least have an overnight getaway.

Best part of winter so far: some days that were so snowy that I just couldn't go anywhere.  It's always a good day when I get to stay home!  And also some lovely warm and sunny days.

Worst part of winter so far: my hubby's long, long work hours.  Oh, and quite a few days when our driveway was a sheet of ice.
On Echo Lake, NH
7.  The Wednesday Hodgepodge lands on National Margarita Day...will you be celebrating? Frozen or on the rocks? Are you a Jimmy Buffet fan? If so, what's your favorite JB tune?

No;  neither one; and no.
This cute little handmade cookbook was made by my hubby as a boy; a gift for his mom!  I think it was a school project.
8.  Insert your own random thought here.  

This fishy hodgepodge reminded me of how much we enjoy fried haddock at our local seafood place.  We once ordered fried haddock at a very pricey seafood place (not fancy, just pricey) in Maine, and you know,  the fish at our own local place tasted fresher.  It was definitely cheaper!   Back before Christmas we also enjoyed all-you-can-eat fried haddock at a diner in a nearby town.  Delicious!  It's something we don't splurge on very often, but sure enjoy it when we can.
Fried shrimp and scallops, Bay Haven Lobster Pound, Cornish, Maine
 Happy Hodgepodge Day, everyone!

24 comments:

  1. Love all of your "fishy" pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! And thanks for visiting my kitchen table! Please stop by anytime.

      Delete
  2. Fried haddock, fried shrimp, fried scallops, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know. So bad for us. And so tasty! I did feel better once I learned that the breading at our local fried seafood place is made with only corn flour and cream.

      Delete
  3. I have never tried haddock before, but it sure looks tasty! We haven't had any snow here this year...and I am beyond relieved. Bring on spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it is tasty, April. If you like most kinds of fish, you would like haddock. It's one of the mildest, yet most flavorful kinds of fish in my opinion.

      Still loads of snow up here but we are having temps in the high forties and so it is melting quite fast. Always the potential for more, well into March or even later, however.

      Delete
  4. We're fortunate because we have great seafood here in Mass. Nothing is better than sitting near the water munching on some quality seafood. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! Especially on a nice summer day. You have a wonderful week too, Katie!

      Delete
  5. What wonderful pictures. I love the tide pool pic. You are blessed to be in a place where you can enjoy the seasons. Those little crabs are cute in a pic, but I really didn't like seeing them in our place on the beach in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the pictures, Nonnie! Yes, I think I would always want to live where there are seasons. And no, I wouldn't enjoy seeing those little crabs indoors either. (Come to think of it, we're probably really blessed that none of them came home with any of the kiddos that day!)

      Delete
  6. Oh my! I may have been copying you. 😉. So much to respond to...love, love, love Reid State Park, but until they change their philosophy about mosquito and horsefly control, I will never go again. Hope that you and your hubby can getaway soon! Oh, my favorite haddock is served right here in my hometown and it's much less expensive than the coast and every bit as tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would sooner say that we both had the same thought, Vee!

      We haven't encountered many insects at Reid, but either the time of year or the amount of wind must have made a difference. One of those visits was in the fall, and there wouldn't have been mosquitoes or horseflies around then, I suppose. You could go in the fall!

      Isn't that great that you have such good seafood right in your own town. We do too.

      A getaway may possibly be in our near future. We will see!

      Delete
  7. I would love to go deep sea fishing but my fear is being sick on the boat. I've never had fried Haddock. Guess I should try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, being sick on the boat. I really wasn't expecting to be that time we went deep sea fishing. I didn't stop to think that the boat would be sort of rolling around in the same spot for hours. I didn't actually get sick but I sure felt it.

      And haddock ... yes, yummy. If you like fish, you should try it.

      Delete
  8. I have never been deep sea fishing and know I couldn't handle it. I have an issue with motion sickness, and even people I know who don't say deep sea fishing is not for the weak of stomach : ) I loved all your fishy pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce! Glad you enjoyed the pics. I had fun deciding which ones to use!

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed your answers. I actually enjoyed the deep-sea fishing experiences too but quite a few years ago, my hubby took our son out for an all day excursion. He stayed bent over the side of the boat nearly all 8 hours! Once you get out there, it's too bad unless someone is literally dying (which I'm sure he thought he was!). Those shrimp and scallops look SO delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your son probably did feel as if he was literally dying! 8 hours of seasickness would be no fun at all.

      Yes, those shrimp and scallops were wonderful. That was at a seafood place in INLAND Maine. Not on the coast, but great seafood at reasonable prices and they will actually let 2 people share a meal.

      Delete
  10. Your post is making me long for a New England getaway. Maine and New Hampshire are two of my favorite places. We honeymooned there 15 years ago. We took our kids back to NH for a vacation when they were small and I loved it just as much as when I was there before. You live in such a beautiful part of our country ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Theresa. We love it here! We have visited many other parts of the country, but there's just something about New England. Hope you can get back here again before too many years go by.

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed all of your Hodgepodge, but especially that little cookbook made by Mr. T. when he was a kid. Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it so cute, Judy? I actually had the post all written and scheduled on Tuesday, but later I remembered that little fish cookbook and decided to add it in. It fit the theme so perfectly!

      Delete
  12. How appropriate for one with a blog titled, Across My Table, to remind us of the story of Jesus cooking fish and demonstrating hospitality! I really like that!

    The cookbook your husband made for his mother is soo special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Barbara! As I mentioned to Vee above, that account in John 21 has always captured my imagination. I can't imagine what it would have been like to have the resurrected Christ preparing and serving me a meal. And, as you said, demonstrating hospitality as he invited them to come and dine.

      Isn't that little cookbook so cute? I'm glad I remembered that I had a photo of it.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.