Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Last Hodgepodge of April


Hoping to see this bloodroot soon in the wildflower garden; this, and all other photos of spring flowers, is from previous years.
Wednesday again -- so it's time for the Hodgepodge with Joyce and friends at From This Side of the Pond.  Go on over, copy the questions, and then paste and answer them on your own blog (or in the comments if you don't have a blog).  Then scurry back over to Joyce's to link up!   Here are this week's questions:

1. They say you learn something new every day. What did you learn yesterday?

A lot of new-to-me facts about creation as we heard a talk about the early earth.  Fascinating stuff.

2. Have you ever had a now or never moment? Elaborate.

I guess probably we all have.  That moment where we just have to jump in and say or do something and leave the result in God's hands.  I can't think of any specific instances right now.

3.  April 25th is National Telephone Day. Do you still have a land line or have you gone mobile only? When you receive a text message do you respond immediately? Last time you turned your phone off?  In two or three sentences share with us a story/memory/incident from your childhood (or something current if that's too hard) where the telephone is featured.

Still have a land line.  I don't text.  Last time I turned my phone off: Saturday night, I think.  It's still off.

Funny story from our kids' childhood.  We were at the supper table, ready to say grace.  It was our older daughter's turn to pray.   The phone rang (no caller ID, or even answering machine, back then) and she ran to answer it.  She picked it up and said, "Dear heavenly Father..."!

Still makes me laugh, all these years later.  Fortunately, it was only her grandmother on the other end.

4. Close call, at someone's beck and call, call the shots, call a meeting, call it quits, call in sick, call on the carpet, wake up call...which call have you 'heard' recently? Explain.

Going through a household full of accumulated stuff (from several individuals) has been a wake-up call to me that I don't want my grown kids and/or grandkids having to deal with that.  I'm decluttering my own house as I go, even while trying to dispose of my parents' stuff.

As a side note, has anyone but me noticed that people no longer "call in" when they need to miss work?  Instead, they "call out."

5. What subject do you wish you'd paid more attention to in school?

My several years of a foreign language.   French, in my case.  Only I wish I had taken Spanish.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

 It's been so nice to have two days of spring-like weather.  Really thankful for it.  We still have a bit of snow in shaded areas, but it's melting pretty fast.  The photo below was taken in March of a previous year, but it looks a bit like this right now, only less snow.

And so ends another Hodgepodge.  The next one will be in a new month ... does anyone else think this year is just flying by?

15 comments:

  1. I love the cute phone story!!! Grandma should have responded, 'Yes, My child?' . Our scenery looks a bit like yours. I'll be glad when the big ice cube is gone from the garden pond. Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I can't remember how Grandma responded, but I imagine with helpless laughter -- the kind I experience every time I remember this incident!

      Delete
  2. I love the last photo! Sweet phone story. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! Hope you had a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  3. I am purging my closet today Mrs T. I have let it pile up and it is driving me crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life in general is driving me crazy, Arlene! This estate stuff is giving me fits, not to mention all of the clutter I am dealing with.

      Delete
  4. I need to purge but it's so hard to give away things our boys made growing up. And, that's most of our clutter. Unless you count my computer desk.

    That's a cute phone story.

    See you in May.
    I think time goes faster as I get older :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you are saying about things your kids made growing up. I finally have tossed some of them. The other day I threw away a ratty old patchwork potholder which my great-aunt had made. It was so silly to keep it, as I have several more made by her.

      Delete
  5. I nearly laughed out loud about that cute phone story! Nothing like freshly washed laundry on the line, snow or not! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, it makes me laugh out loud every single time I remember that story. A fun memory.

      Delete
  6. We do our best not to accumulate. I think the more space you have the more stuff you hold on to in order to fill it. When I lived in England we had no closets, just wardrobes and small ones at that. And we all dressed just fine. Now I have many large closets and it's tempting to fill them, but I'm trying not to be that person. Have a happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes the year is flying by, for sure. Whew! I enjoyed your Hodgepodge!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always fun to read your stories and see your photos. I found snow under the leaves I was trying to rake today. The plowed snow is going fast. My neighbor is not happy about the state of our mutual lawn.

    Bet Grandma was pretty shocked to be called Dear Heavenly Father! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow under leaves you were trying to rake. That happened to me, too. We still have a couple of small snow piles around, but it's nearly gone. We're finding a lot of mole activity in our so-called lawn now.

      I honestly can't remember how Grandma responded, but I'm pretty sure she laughed!

      Delete
  9. All the years seem to be flying by to me these days. We still have snow...quite a bit of it, but it is melting pretty fast now. Cute phone story! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.