Monday, April 23, 2018

A few minutes for sewing!


I'm so tickled that I finally found time to complete a simple sewing project.  I haven't sewed in months, maybe close to a year.  Life has just been too busy.

A grandson's birthday was being celebrated this past weekend and I needed just one more gift for him.  I checked my notebook where I keep birthday ideas and saw that at some point Josiah's mom had told me he needed a new apron.  He has outgrown his and has to borrow an apron from her when he bakes.

Could I take the time?  Should I take the time?  Other responsibilities press in on me daily.  I asked my husband if he thought I should take the time to do this.  His hearty response:  "You absolutely should!  Things like this are important too."

I found an easy tutorial I had previously saved and set about making an apron pattern out of newspaper. Then I had to find some fabric.  The birthday boy loves green, so I found some green checked fabric in my stash.  This tutorial was for a reversible apron, and I was really stuck on what to use for the other side, when I came upon this fabric:
This piece of fabric was a gift from one of my daughters years ago -- it's a print of blueberries, raspberries and strawberries.  I've hoarded it for years, unable to decide what to make with it.  It does have sprigs of green in the print, so here was my answer.

I made and cut out the pattern, then cut the apron pieces out of fabric all on Friday.  Saturday afternoon it only took an hour or possibly two to finish sewing the apron.  I was so pleased with how it came out!

It was such a blessing to me to be able to sew.  I hadn't realized how much I had missed it.  The apron tutorial is here, if you are interested:Making it Fun.   You can find this apron tutorial in the right sidebar under the name Classic Apron Tutorial.  Click on the picture of the apron and the pdf appears for download or printing.

The tutorial has directions for both child and adult apron patterns.  I made this one in between those two sizes, which differed by a couple of inches.  Josiah is 10, but I wanted the apron to fit him for awhile.  I am not sure I've ever made a reversible apron before, but this is a great tutorial and so easy.  It went together so easily and was just plain fun to make.  It would be even more fun with some really cute fabric, but I was determined to use something from my sizeable fabric stash.

I still have enough of the berry fabric left to use for some fun projects,

like mug mats or pot holders or something similar, so I'm happy.

And I'd say Josiah is pretty pleased, too.

So thankful I took the time to do this little project!

16 comments:

  1. This is adorable and his face says it all. I am glad you stopped long enough to do it and that it all came together so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too, Sandy! Thanks for your sweet comments and encouragement!

      Delete
  2. I love the look on his face! Yes! You absolutely made the right choice! Thank you for the link to the pattern. I wear an apron so much of the time and will be using your link to make aprons for my grand quadruplets Birthday! They will be six next month.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda, for the encouragement!

      Concerning the pattern (and it is fun to think that your quads will have aprons from it too), I will say that the tutorial includes a pocket, which I left off. It just seemed like extra work to me and I honestly didn't think he would care if it had a pocket or not. As you will see, the pocket directions take up a lot of space in the tutorial. You can do as you like, of course, but I recommend skipping the pocket. It makes for a really quick and easy project.

      Delete
  3. How charming...and look at that smile! Definitely a special gift and worth the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Linda. He really did seem pleased with it and I was so glad I had taken the time. He squeezed the package before opening and guessed, "Shirt." I think he was pleasantly surprised it was an apron!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure he will treasure it Mrs T. I still have a sun bonnet my grandmother made for me when I was 10 years old. It hangs up at Grimmwood in her memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made him a chef's hat previous to this, and possibly an apron too. Now he needs a new hat to make the ensemble complete. We will see!

      Delete
  6. Excellent job on the aprons and your little guy looks so pleased with his...how adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that the pattern is reversible, so it's like two aprons in one. I'll be using this pattern again and again.

      Delete
  7. Awww...look at that face and you know you made the best choice! Happy Birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know ... he has the sweetest face. He really is the sweetest boy, too. Very loving and usually (not always, he is 10 years old, after all) thinking about others' feelings.

      Delete
  8. The look on his face says it all!! Taking time to make that apron was exactly what you needed to do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grandson looks very happy and please that you took the time to make it for him. Sometimes we just need to take time out to do something fun. It helps us feel so much better when we do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Marie. I haven't taken a lot of time for crafting lately, and I know I would feel better if I did.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.