Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Mid-April Hodgepodge


 Not sure how this happened, but it's Wednesday again -- so it's time for the Hodgepodge with Joyce and friends at From This Side of the Pond.  (Can it really be a week since I've posted?)  Head on over, get the questions, and then answer them on your own blog (or in the comments if you don't have a blog).  Then go back over to Joyce's to link up!   Here are this week's questions:

1. Three things on your spring bucket list? If you don't have an actual list that's fine, pretend you do.

* A spring getaway with my hubby -- this actually happened at the end of last week
* Cleaning and decluttering several closets
* Take a picnic somewhere as soon as our weather cooperates
We ended up with the same room as last year.  Nice!
 2. Where do you find rest? What restores your soul? When was the last time you did whatever it was you answered here?

This question brings many thoughts to mind, but I'll try to keep the answer relatively brief.  I find rest in God's Word and in prayer.  I have a special Scripture journal that I turn to at times when I could be stressed or worried.  It never fails to bring me rest and peace as I pray through the many Scriptures concerning who God is and how He works in our lives.

I also find my soul restored by spending time in God's creation.  It gives me a much better perspective on my life and problems if I am somewhere where I can appreciate things like mountains, lakes and rivers, fall foliage, the moon and stars, and especially the ocean.  I have sat at the edge of a lake, listening to the water lapping the shore, and felt myself begin to heal as God eased the pain of grief and sorrow.  When I sit by the ocean and watch the waves ebb and flow, I am reminded that these tides have been going in and out since Creation according to God's timetable.  Everything is in His hands and under His control.

A verse that never fails to bless my heart is Psalm 90:2 -- "Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever Thou hast formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, Thou art God."

I spend time in God's Word daily and last turned to my Scripture journal a few days ago.  We spent time at the ocean last week, and it was so restorative.


3. April is National Celery Month. Who knew? Do you like celery? What's your favorite dish made with celery? On a veggie and dip platter which would you reach for first-carrot sticks, celery sticks, cucumbers or cherry tomatoes? 

Yes, I do like celery.  I can't name a specific favorite dish made with celery, but I like it in soups, stews, stuffing, chicken or tuna salad ... lots of dishes.  On a veggie and dip platter I would probably reach for a cherry tomato or a cucumber spear or slice first.
View from the dining room
4. I read here eight things to do before 8 am to make your day less hectic-Start one load of laundry, drink water, empty the dishwasher, read your Bible, know what you're having for dinner, get dressed, brain dump (two lists-one what you're thankful for and one what's weighing on your mind), and after the brain dump make your to-list for the day.

How many of these are you currently doing? Which one do you think would help the most if you added it to your early morning routine?


I'm doing nearly all of these.  We don't have a dishwasher, but I do empty the dish drainer, so it amounts to the same thing.  The only thing I am not currently doing is the "brain dump" of what I'm thankful for.  That would certainly be an encouragement. 
From the dining room looking into area where the breakfast buffet was set up
5. Describe the view from your window.

It's not pretty.  (I'm writing this on Tuesday afternoon.)  Across the road I see snowbanks still, and there are dark wet trees there and also in our yard.    Rain is falling and the eaves are dripping steadily.  But last week we had a couple of really nice days at the ocean.  Only part of one day was sunny, but the temps were relatively warm and very nice.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

I wish I had gotten a picture of this, but I wasn't quick enough, so a description will have to do.  One morning we left our room at the York Harbor Inn and headed for the car ... don't even remember why.  But the sun was shining and the birds were singing.  Near the parking area is a little white gazebo, so picture that in your mind.  I heard an unfamiliar bird song and looked around for the source.  A gorgeous, brilliant red cardinal was perched on the very top of the gazebo!  I reached for the camera, but he flew away.  A beautiful sight that I will file away in my memory bank!

So ends another Hodgepodge!  Happy Wednesday!

12 comments:

  1. It surely was so nice to get away with your hubby! Your accommodations look wonderful! Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed so nice, Debby, and our accommodations were lovely. So thankful for midweek spring specials that allow us to stay in a place we couldn't otherwise afford easily.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you got your trip to the beach. Getting away always refreshes me. I could see the gazebo and the cardinal in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am glad you could see the gazebo and cardinal in your mind, Arlene. A lovely sight! Yes, a trip to anywhere with my hubby refreshes me. The ocean was a special treat.

      Delete
  3. Was he singing his “pweet pweet” song or perhaps his “rrrrrrrr” song? He has a few in his repertoire. Yes, when I look out the window it looks pretty bleak here as well. Brighter days are coming! You are so right! These Wednesdays come fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have to guess it was his “rrrrrrrr” song. I see and hear cardinals so seldom that I didn't recognize it until I saw him. Then it was "Oh, of course!"

      Nice and sunny here today -- Monday the 23 -- and warm too. We heard "croakers" last night, so spring is truly on its way!

      Delete
  4. I'm still waiting to see my first cardinal. Someone local said they saw one so they're around. What a nice treat for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to see a cardinal soon, Julie! We see them so rarely that this was really special.

      Delete
  5. We have many cardinals here in Wisconsin. I am so happy to have them winter over, they are pretty with the snow as the backdrop. :-)
    I LOVE your ocean photos.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, cardinals are beautiful against a snowy backdrop. We don't see them here in winter.

      Glad you enjoyed the ocean photos ... we don't get there often, but are happy when we can spend time by the sea.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed your questions and all your answers. Glad you could take a getaway with your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Nikki. We really needed it. Our lives are pretty busy right now so we are thankful for 2 nights away.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.