Sunday, May 14, 2023

Sunday Scripture

 

As I've mentioned, I'm finishing up a One Chapter a Day study of Psalms 101-150 from Good Morning Girls.  Although I love working on more in-depth Bible studies, these simpler ones are also a blessing to do, and I think they are working out quite well for my Sunday Scripture posts.

 As I've noted before, I like to use the SOAP method of Bible study, and the journal from GMG uses a very similar method.  I find this method a real blessing especially when I am studying shorter passages, and I hope others will give it a try if you haven't ever done so. Just a reminder that the S is for Scripture -- just write it out -- and the O is for Observation, the A is for Application and the P is for prayer -- concerning how you'll apply this verse or praise for what it means to you.

This study also includes a reflection question for each passage.  Sometime I answer this in my study, and sometimes not.  Whenever I do answer it, I'll do so right after the SOAP part.

Today's study is from Psalm 140.  The verse to focus on was verse 4, but I chose to look at verses 4-6.

S= "Keep me, O LORD, from the hands of the wicked, and preserve me from the violent man, who have purposed to overthrow my goings.
   " The proud have hidden a snare for me, and cords; they have spread a net by the wayside: they have set traps for me.  Selah.
   "I said unto the LORD, Thou art my God; hear the voice of my supplications, O LORD.". (Psalm 140: 4-6)

I also found verses 1 and 12-13 helpful:

" Deliver me, O LORD, from the evil man, and preserve me from the violent man." (v.1)

"I know that the LORD will maintain the cause of the afflicted, and the right of the poor.  Surely, the righteous shall give thanks unto They name: the upright shall dwell in The presence.". (v. 12-13)

O= This is a psalm of David.  " A prayer for protection against persecutors" is the title given by Scofield to Psalm 140.  David reminds the Lord in v. 5 that the proud are setting traps for him.  He asks God in verses 1 and 4 to preserve him from the violent man, to deliver him from the evil man, and keep him from the hands of the wicked.  In verses 9-10 he asks God to bring the mischief and evil these enemies desire for him, onto their own heads, that they would "be cast into the fire, into deep pits, that they rise not up again.". David knows that God will hear him and will "maintain the cause of the afflicted." 
 
Charles Spurgeon,  in The Treasury of David, writes that Psalm 140 is "the cry of a hunted soul,  the supplication of a believer incessantly persecuted and beset by cunning enemies, who hungered for his destruction ... With this sacrifice of prayer [David] offers the salt of faith; for in a very marked and emphatic manner he expresses his personal confidence in the Lord as the protector of the oppressed, and as his own God and Defender."

Several cross-references are given for the word "snare" in verse 5:

"For without cause have they hidden for me their net in a pit, which without cause they have digged for my soul."  (Psalm 35:7)

"They have prepared a net for my steps; my soul is bowed down.  They have digged a pit before me , into the midst whereof they are fallen themselves."  (Psalm 57:6)

"The wicked have laid a snare for me; yet I erred not from Thy precepts." (Psalm 119:110)

"Keep me from the snares which they have laid for me; and the traps of the workers of iniquity." (Psalm 141:9)

"Let a cry be heard from their houses, when Thou shalt bring a troop suddenly upon them; for they have digged a pit to take me, and hidden snares for my feet."  (Jeremiah 18:22)

Verse 5 ends with the word "Selah".  This term appears 71 times in the book of Psalms and is a musical direction of some type, though scholars are not agreed on just what sort of direction that is.  One of the likely possibilities is that it indicates an interlude -- a pause in the singing while the orchestra continues.  Ryrie says it "is probably a musical notation signaling an interlude or change of musical accompaniment."  I have also heard it defined as a rest.  
 
It seems that Spurgeon may take that latter view, for he comments,  "The harp needs tuning after such a strain, and the heart needs lifting up toward God."
 
Cross-references for "maintain the cause of the afflicted" in verse 12:

"Then hear Thou in heaven their prayer and their supplication, and maintain their cause."  1 Kings 9:45)

"For Thou hast maintained my right and my cause; Thou didst sit on the throne doing right."  (Psalm 9:4)
 
A neat observation made in the reflection question reading is this one: "Though this Psalm starts out with David in fear, it ends with David confident that God would rescue him."
 
A= The reading for the reflection question also notes: "One of the ways the godly face persecution is by having their words twisted, or their intentions questioned.  Sometimes they are lied about, slandered, or lured into a trap of temptation,  just so they can be brought down."
 
I've faced the type of persecution mentioned here -- having my words twisted or misquoted, having my intentions questioned, being lied about or misrepresented.  I felt like verse 3 was very true in my life.  But I knew I could trust God to keep me from the hands of the wicked and preserve me from the violent man -- and He did!  

Today in our world, believers (in fact, all reasonable, moral, thinking people) are under attack, along with the very truth itself.  We can trust God to protect us as we stand for what is right even as we face the attacks of the wicked.

Spurgeon writes, "If a godly man can be cajoled, or bribed, or cowed, or made angry, the wicked will make the attempt.  Ready are they to twist his words, misread his intentions, and misdirect his efforts; ready to fawn, and lie, and make themselves mean to the last degree so that they may accomplish their abominable purpose."

Does this ever sound like our world today!  I'm so thankful that God will maintain our cause.

P= "Lord, I am so thankful for the reassuring truths of Your Word!  We can read this psalm of David and see how the reality of his faith gave him assurance of God's protection even in what looked like an impossible situation.  And that gives me so much encouragement for my own life.  I have seen You protect me from angry people and even turn situations around.  I know I can continue to trust You to do the same in the midst of a perverse, wicked world that hates Your children.  I praise You for all that You are doing and all that You will do, in Jesus' name, Amen."

That's the Sunday Scripture for today!  I hope it was a blessing.



6 comments:

  1. Yes, sadly, this does sound like our world today, especially here in America, which used to be considered a Christian nation, but sadly no more. Anyone who stands up for the truth and for conservative values becomes the subject of ridicule and even attempts to destroy our character and silence our speech. May God protect us and keep us safe from the wicked and violent people who are out there waiting to put us down any way they can. It's a very sad state of affairs in our nation these days. We need much prayer and believers especially need to stand strong and not give in to the lure of the devil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Pam. You have stated our current situation very well. May we all be faithful in lifting one another up in prayer in these challenging times.

      Delete
  2. Goodmorning! Just wanted to say a big thank you for this wonderful blog post. It was truly inspiring and encouraging. I especially loved the quote from Charles Spurgeon that you included. It really spoke to my heart. Also, I wanted to mention that I used to lead a Dutch GMG group on Facebook for a while. Thank you once again for sharing this beautiful content. Keep up the great work!

    https://wondervanhetgewone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I love Spurgeon's writing. His words can often be hard-hitting, but so true. Other times they are tender and comforting.

      That is so interesting that you used to lead a Dutch GMG group on Facebook! I've read about the international groups -- so encouraging.

      I really appreciate your kind words, Aritha. They truly encourage my heart. It's a great incentive for me to keep on keeping on!

      Delete
  3. I left a comment, but I don't see it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's still here, or here again, now, Aritha. Blogger has been doing some really strange things with comments lately. Sorry for any mixup.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.