Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Could planning for variety re-invigorate my crafting life?

 


 Today is International Craft Day and so it seems an appropriate time to address this thought I've had mulling around in my brain for months now.  Regular readers may remember a post I did back in June concerning variety in my devotional life.  (For those who missed that post,  it had to do with assigning days of the week to my various devotional and spiritual growth pursuits.)   So what I've been wondering is, could I take that same concept and make it work in my crafting life?  

My crafting life needs work, that's for sure.  When I look back at all of the crafts I made in earlier years, in what was a much busier season of life, I feel so sad that I can't seem to find much time for crafting at all anymore.  I seem to be limited to my granny square temperature blanket (which thankfully ensures that I do something creative each day, or almost every day), plus the occasional paper crafting or Shutterfly project, and sometimes some scrapbook journaling.  The thing is that I have sewing projects I should do, both hand and machine sewing, I have other crochet projects in progress, and I have cross stitch and embroidery projects in various stages of completion.  And I desperately want to work on them. But I seem to be stalled, getting very little accomplished.

So  I've made a little plan.  We will see where it goes.  It looks like this:

Sunday: counted cross stitch

Monday: machine sewing

Tuesday: crochet

Wednesday: paper crafting, scrapbook journaling

Thursday: embroidery

Friday: hand sewing, felt food

Saturday: mending, alterations, DIY pantry and household formulas.

Of course I will continue with crocheting a square or two each day for my temperature blanket.  My thought is that if I have this list to turn to, if I have extra time in the evening, or unexpected downtime during the day, I can work on one of my unfinished (or, in the case of machine sewing, unstarted) projects in that day's category.  

Almost-current progress on the temperature blanket; I have added a row since this photo was taken.
 
It's absolutely worth a try, don't you think?

2 comments:

  1. It's certainly worth a try! And I'm sure it will help you accomplish more of your goals having a plan like that. I am not very crafty at all anymore, and I often wish I were, but life just seems to be too busy to do much of anything extra anymore, and we are retired with not that much to do one would think! Somehow our days get very busy without even trying! I hope you will be able to finish your special projects. They all sound wonderful. Be sure to show us pictures when you do them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I managed some paper crafting yesterday (Wednesday) so I'm pretty pleased about that. Just some simple, not-fancy envelopes made out of scrapbook paper for my Etsy orders. I needed some 6x8 envelopes and that's not a usual size.

    Today I hope to fit in a little bit of embroidery. We will see!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.