Friday, October 17, 2008

Show & Tell Friday for October 17


Today's Show and Tell will be very short, but I wanted to show just a bit of my autumn decorating for this year. This display on my hutch makes me smile every time I look at it. In general, it is much like last year's autumn display which I showed here last fall. The difference is in the middle shelf, and also the wonderful autumn tag on the shelf above it is a new addition. I showed this in a previous post -- the tag was made and shared with me by a dear friend. Oh -- when I sent this friend a photo of my autumn hutch, she asked if the fall mugs on the top and the teapot on the bottom shelf were part of a set. No, they're not. Those pretty tall mugs were from a home party my daughter-in-law gave some time ago. The teapot was purchased at Walmart several years ago after Thanksgiving at a wonderful price. Isn't it gorgeous?

The middle shelf is the same in some respects as last year -- the two Gooseberry Patch books, the Fiestaware salt & pepper shakers, and the little sunflower pot. As you can see, the "pot" is a wooden spool wrapped in ribbon. The sunflower head is attached to a cinnamon stick for the "stem" and then a strip of homespun tied around it. Very cute and simple. I got this as a favor at a ladies' seminar some time ago. The cream pitcher is from the "Olde Curiousity Shop" set. The little "Autumn in the Air" booklet was one I picked up in a Cracker Barrel in PA on our way to visit our daughter and son-in-law in SC in 2001. Just a month after the terrorist attacks on September 11 of that year, we drove south. We stopped at this Cracker Barrel for supper, and it was just such a comforting feeling to come into the warm room with its crackling fire and a hostess offering samples of apple crisp. I picked up this free booklet and have kept it ever since as a reminder. I came across it with my other autumn things and decided to display it this year. And the bunch of grapes dish -- I set it on the hutch when I changed the table decor, and liked how its colors blended so well with all the autumn things, so decided to keep it there.

So that is my simple show & tell for today. To see what others have shared for Show & Tell Friday, head on over to There is No Place Like Home

and check out the links. Happy Show & Tell Friday, everyone!

5 comments:

Hootin' Anni said...

Lovely stuff...but my first thought was "Look how clean and shiny her wood furniture is"...wanna come over and shine my stuff up for the weekend? [kidding]

My show n tell is posted...come on over.

Mam said...

Mrs.T. It looks SOOO pretty. And I love the sort of rustic look of your hutch.
Nancy

Grammy said...

What a wonderful collection. I love the smile letters.
Have a great week.
Grammy

Carla said...

Smiling when you see it, is what its all about isn't it? Very festive!

Susie Homemaker said...

I like your hutch very much...I am drawn to wood. And hootin' anni is right, it is very shiny...what do you use?

Blessings,
Susie