I've been puttering ever since at various tasks, the most important of which would be my Sunday School lesson.
|Image from Amazon.com|
Another thing I did was to put together my Valentine ribbon board. This is something I try to do every February ... display some of my vintage Valentines as well as other special items from this season. I've got all the items in place, just need to hang the board in the front hallway. And I will do a post, probably next week, on my simple Valentine decorating.
|This is from 2010, I think. This year's is more sparse.|
|Again, these are from a previous year. I'm just getting started with this year's.|
I think I'll make a Baked Fish Chowder for supper, and maybe some Iron Skillet Biscuits to go along with it. My hubby dearly loves the biscuits from that recipe!
Lastly, I've been looking for a chance to slip in these pictures of a rather random sewing project I recently completed: simple pillows for a kitchen rocker. We have, in our kitchen, a somewhat shabby rocking chair with chippy green paint. When my grandmother gave it to me, the seat was missing, and my then-12-year-old son and I wove a red and white checkerboard replacement out of macrame cord. (My kitchen has a strawberry theme.) I've been reluctant to repaint that chair -- although it certainly could use it and in fact needs more help than that -- because I'm pretty sure my grandmother painted it herself. Anyway, over time the seat got less comfortable so I padded it with a couple of pillows. These were small square pillows made from washcloths trimmed with cotton fringe. (Anyone recognize that as a home decor project from the 1960s?) Someone had given these pillows, made from red washcloths with ecru fringe, to my mother as a gift. There was literally no place in my parents' house where red pillows would look even remotely at home, so my mother passed them on to me. They have lived in that rocker, with time out for occasional washing, ever since. But they had just given out. Flat, stained, ugly pillows that I cringed at every time I noticed them, which wasn't terribly often. I knew I had to replace them, and I thought the best choice would be to make some more washcloth pillows. So "washcloths for pillows" has been an item on my shopping list for awhile, but I never had time to browse that aisle in Walmart.
One day I was cruising past the clearance section and came upon a package of five microfiber "bar mop towels" in two nice shades of green. Inspiration struck, and within a week I had carved out the time to make my pillows.
|This is the darker green, though it doesn't appear all that dark in this photo. See below for one of each.|
|The colors are a bit truer-to-life in this lower picture. My camera is so random at times! One never knows what it will do.|
The rocker itself will have to be a project for another day.
I've taken the fish out to thaw, and fed the wood furnace. The snow continues to fall. Now back to tag making!