Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Sometimes the simplest projects ...


... make a world of difference!  The above project may not look like much to you, and I admit it is pretty simple.  But it has sure made a difference in the way the top of my dresser looks.

My earring storage (for lack of a better word) has been bugging me for awhile now.  What I had was a nearly flat wooden container of sorts made from a piece of scrap wood and popsicle sticks, glued together by my then-7-year-old son many, many years ago.  He designed it with four compartments to hold earrings.  I have used it all these years even though he has told me numerous times to just throw it away.  I finally agree: sentiment can be carried too far. 

I kept my more seasonal earrings in a jewelry box and the ones I wear most often on this little wooden tray.  It's nearly impossible to keep it free of dust.  It was never designed to be a long-term earring organizer, but honestly, I am not one to shop for such an item.  This was working okay and I didn't have time to hunt for one.

One day, either on Pinterest or a blog, I forget which, I saw a nifty earring organizer made from plastic canvas in a picture frame.  I pinned it and forgot about it.  A couple of weeks ago I remembered it again,  and did find my pin.  I thought that I had both a picture frame and a piece of  plastic canvas on hand, but didn't have time to do anything about it right then. 

Yesterday I was dusting in the bedroom and just became really disgusted with that heap of dusty earrings.  I hunted up my picture frame, but couldn't find a whole piece of plastic canvas.  So, rather than give up on the whole project, I decided to improvise and just use the partial piece of canvas that I did have, without a frame, and see how that worked.

You can see that it worked admirably. 

When all of the earrings were in place, I needed a quick hanger.  I grabbed a piece of green satin ribbon that happened to be on my crafting desk, slipped it through a hole in the canvas, tied a knot and push-pinned it to the wall.  Easy!

And later that day when I walked into the bedroom, I could not believe the difference it made to have that earring clutter gone from the dresser.  Things looked so neat!  It honestly made a difference to the entire room. 

Yes, I admit I am easily amused.  Not to mention frugal.


10 comments:

  1. What a lovely earring holder, my friend! I must confess that my earrings are stored in a sweet little tray that I got in Hawaii on my honeymoon, but it doesn't do the job as mt earrings are always getting tangled! Your earring holder is the perfect solution :)

    Enjoy your day! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Stephanie! It's so simple and low-tech (and if you look closely you will see that there's even a cut in the piece of plastic canvas which must have happened with whatever project the other part was used for). But yet once the earrings are in place -- and I've added a few more since the picture was taken -- it actually looks sort of decorative.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you, sometimes you just have to go with the times and try something different! I have lots of jewelry storage just like this and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had been getting carried away with sentiment! This looks so much better. I'm glad I finally steeled myself to throw away that little wooden holder.

      Delete
  3. That's a wonderful idea. Clever lady!
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! And thanks for the visit -- please stop by anytime!

      Delete
  4. A cool idea - no more lost earrings.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amalia! In putting the earrings in place I did find that I had lost several of the little plastic backs that go on earring wires (and a couple of my pairs came without them). Thankfully, one can buy a package of 50 at Wal Mart. (A fact that had escaped my notice until now). Now, definitely no lost earrings.

      Delete
  5. A really awesome idea! It is always nice to find a better way to keep items tidy isn't it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, indeed! Now if I could figure out a solution as simple and cheap for my overflowing fabric stash!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.