Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Flag Day Hodgepodge


Beautiful photo by Abby at Little Birdie Blessings
Wednesday, and time for the almost-weekly Hodgepodge with Joyce and the gang at From This Side of the Pond.   Joyce asks the questions; bloggers copy, paste, and answer on their own blogs, then link up!  If you've never joined in the Hodgepodge, why not give it a  try this week?  Here we go with the questions:

1. The Hodgepodge lands on June 14th this week, Flag Day in the US of A. Do you fly your country's flag at home? Sometimes, often, or every single day? 

We don't have an American flag flying here at our home, although we do at my Dad's.  Every single day.  And we do, as of Saturday, have a perfectly folded American flag on a shelf in our living room.  My nephew is going to have a case made for it.

Have you ever visited the city of Brotherly Love (Philadelphia)? Did you make a point of seeing The Betsy Ross House? Have you ever made a trip to Baltimore? If so, was Fort McHenry on your itinerary? (where Francis Scott Key was inspired to write The Star Spangled Banner)

 I have not visited either Philadelphia or Baltimore.

2. Red flag or white flag? Which have you encountered most recently? Explain.

Good question.  And I can't think of a really good answer.
Photo by Abby at Little Birdie Blessings
3. Are you a stay in the car listen to the end of a song kind of person? What kind of person is that?

 Sometimes I am the sort of person who stays in the car to 1) listen to the end of the song; 2) hear the end of the news story; or 3) listen to see how the at-bat or the current inning comes out.  NPR calls those "driveway moments", so I guess you could say I'm (at times, not always) a driveway moment kind of person.  Or a rest-of-the-story type person.

4. What are some of the traits or qualities you think a good dad possesses? In other words, what makes a good dad? 
 Patience; empathy; kindness; thoughtfulness; courage; integrity; a good work ethic and a sense of humor.  Just to name a few. 

What's an expression you associate with your father?

"It's a poor day when you don't learn something."

5. What's one rule you always disagreed with while growing up? Is that rule somehow still part of your adult life? Is that a good or bad thing?

My parents had a rule that there would be no singing at the table (at mealtimes).  I'm still not completely sure why they had it, other than that singing slowed down one's eating, could be considered rude or distracting to others,  and -- in our house anyway -- teasing was sometimes accompanied by a song or jingle aimed at the one being teased.

I haven't kept that rule in my own household and very occasionally I will notice one of us or a grandchild singing at the table.  And I have no problem with it.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Very thankful for my own wonderful Dad who is no longer with us, as of May 26. We will miss him but he is far better off, reunited with his loved ones who have gone on before.  As I looked back over many photos to make a display for folks to enjoy at the gathering after his service, I was reminded again and again of  what a good dad he had been.
The tenderness expressed in this picture ... there are just no words.
They are getting ready to pour concrete to install a flagpole!
Setting the base for the flagpole ... this is how I always remember my dad, with a pencil tucked behind his ear.
 
And so ends another Hodgepodge. Happy Flag Day!

18 comments:

  1. My dad passed away in Feb., so I definitely feel your pain; it's still raw, for sure.
    Sounds like your dad left you with some great memories, as did mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry for your loss, Mary. It's wonderful, though, that your dad left you with such special memories. Mine sure did.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful photos at the end. Your Dad sounds like he was a wonderful man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was, Katie. So wonderful. He had a lot of sorrow and loss in his life, but kept his perspective and sense of humor to the end.

      Delete
  3. A good father is truly a blessing from God. I sure do miss mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Arlene. Even though the past few years I felt more like the responsible parent, yet he was always my dad and a very special, godly man.

      Delete
  4. We never get over losing our dad. Love the photos and your dad's expression. I agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he kept that perspective of learning something every day all through his life, Judy. Especially in the last few years when he forgot things so quickly.

      Happy Flag Day and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. To have had a good day is one of the best blessings I can think of. My heart always longed for one. Great pictures to treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie. I know that I was blessed. I appreciate my dad even more knowing that many did not have a good dad, or any dad at all.

      Yes, those pictures ARE treasures indeed!

      Delete
  6. Awww. I loved your Hodgepodge answers and the wonderful pictures. We weren't allowed to sing at the table either and I never understood why. I did break that rule once. I just stood up in the middle of the meal and began singing the star spangled banner. I have no idea what triggered that, but I was promptly cut off and asked to sit down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably you figured no one was going to "shush" the national anthem. And of course one must stand to sing it, so ... Thanks for sharing that fun memory!

      Delete
  7. My grands are going to tell me that they learned nothing in school today (poor kids are in school for another week!) and I will try to remember what your father said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great answer for the grands, Vee! There is always something to be learned, school or no school. Of course the kids feel that no new information is being imparted the last week of school (and they're at least partly right) but there's always something to learn if one pays attention.

      Delete
  8. Oh such sweet black & whites of your dad and you children. Losing him is still so fresh for you and we never stop missing them. My dad has been gone now for 15 years. There is no doubt your dear dad instilled many wonderful values in you...that's really what life is all about...
    leaving a positive footprint behind! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words indeed, Debby: "leaving a positive footprint behind." He did indeed leave that. If I were to share his full story ... but I can't do that here ... you would be amazed at the wisdom and character he had even as a young sailor in WWII. After coming to the Lord in mid-life, he became even stronger.

      Yes, the pictures ... oh my, going through them was a trip down memory lane and then some.

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed seeing all the pictures of your dad. I especially liked the one with the boy with a bike and the two littler ones in the wheelbarrow...it looks like a scene straight out of the Andy Griffith Show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacy! I hadn't thought of it that way, but it does look right out of Andy Griffith, doesn't it?

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.