Saturday, September 22, 2018

First day of fall


I just had to share this vintage magazine page and thought the first day of fall would be the perfect time to do so.  This is a magazine page I found folded up in a kitchen drawer at my childhood home.  It is from Woman's Day, November 1954. 

The words are from the hymn For the Beauty of the Earth.  It's interesting to me that, long before my mother knew Jesus as her Savior, she recognized to Whom praise was due for our blessings. 

The photo here is so reminiscent of the area of New Hampshire where I grew up.  I don't think the photo was necessarily taken there, but it looks so much as if it could have been.  I'm guessing this is why my mother was moved to save the magazine page.

I'm thankful that we live in the digital age, for I could just scan this lovely illustration, crop out most of the tattered edges, and then throw the paper away.  (To see the photo in its entirety, just double click on it.)

Hope you have enjoyed this bit of vintage fall loveliness today!

14 comments:

  1. Really? In the kitchen drawer after all this time? It is a very cool find and gives one an idea of the task at hand. Lots of treasures to work your way through. I love the John Rutter rendition of this hymn. Happy autumn to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so many treasures to work my way through. I feel as if I have barely scratched the surface of this stuff. I did get through that kitchen drawer ... and yes, it had stayed there for all those years. I know that the kitchen was remodeled in the early 1960s, so apparently many bits and pieces were transferred from the old metal cabinets to the new pine ones along with things like dishes, cookware and silverware!

      Delete
  2. What a great find and yes, I am happy we live in the digital age. Saving things is so much easier and take up less space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I can throw things like this away with a clear conscience. Paper treasures in better shape go to my Etsy shop.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed seeing this page, I was 9yrs old at the time it was published! WoW, now I feel vintage! lol Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel vintage too, Mary. I was 4 when this was published so of course I don't remember ever seeing it before. It is a fun find, for sure.

      Delete
  4. It is so pretty. I honestly have looked at a Woman’s Day in a very long time, but I am also reminded of how it always had some Bible verses and such in it. I have always loved magazines that had beautiful scenes from out country. Very pretty. I collected scenes like this when I was teaching for my bulletin boards since we don’t see anything like that down here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often used pictures like this from Country Magazine when I was teaching a kids' Sunday School class, to show the beauty and variety of God's creation.

      Yes, Woman's Day always did have a Bible verse on the contents page. Last time I checked, they still did. They also used to include a Scripture verse calendar to cut out and use each year. I have a few of those and enjoy the pictures so much.

      Delete
  5. Hey I am vintage myself now Mrs.T!! So you know I like vintage things! Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy fall to you also, Arlene!

      Surprisingly, even things from the 1980s are considered vintage on Etsy!

      Delete
  6. Happy Fall, Mrs T! I love that hymn. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Gina. Happy fall to you, as well!

      Delete
  7. I love vintage everything and this page is lovely. Happy fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! Happy fall to you also!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.