Thursday, February 07, 2019

A delicious winter side dish

Photo is from Taste of Home
 I was going to wait and share this recipe in November or December, because it would make a perfect festive side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.  But then I realized that Brussels sprouts are fresh in produce departments right now, and so any time in winter might be a good time to try this way of preparing them.

In keeping with my habit of reading through my past issues of Country Woman and Taste of Home during the appropriate months, I was glancing through the December/January 2011 issue of Country Woman last month and came upon this interesting-sounding recipe: Maple Bacon Glazed Brussels Sprouts

I had everything on hand that I needed to try making them, including a bag of fresh Brussels sprouts that really needed to be used up.  (Well, I didn't have bacon, but I did have real bacon bits, so just sprinkled some of those on at the end.)  The only thing I would do differently another time would be to use less maple syrup.  I think 2 or 3 tablespoons would be plenty.  It was just a little sweeter than I felt necessary.

One reviewer said that she simply roasted the Brussels sprouts with a little olive oil, salt and pepper -- and that when they were tender she just drizzled some maple syrup on them and sprinkled on some bacon.  I think I might try that next time, as it would be less work at the last minute.

Mr. T is not a Brussels sprouts fan, so he looked at them warily but was game to taste them.  He was very pleasantly surprised and said that he actually likes Brussels sprouts when prepared this way.  I do like Brussels sprouts as a rule, and this is a fabulous way to prepare and serve them.  Maybe you would like to try this, too!

5 comments:

  1. I’m going to give this a try! My Amber roasts them all the time but the syrup and bacon would make them even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does add a nice touch, Linda. A few chopped pecans, too. You don't really need a lot of bacon, syrup, or pecans. Just a sprinkling!

      Delete
  2. Oh I don’t think so...you could cover them in hot fudge sauce and I wouldn’t be tempted. I did learn to like green beans with a mustard brown sugar and cheese sauce with vinegar once. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Brussels sprouts, but I would not waste hot fudge sauce on them. I do recognize, though, they are not a vegetable that appeals to everyone. You have a perfect right not to like them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love your phrasing! made me chuckle... 😁

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.