Monday, October 28, 2019

Choco-Marshmallow Cookies

 
Last Thursday I took some time to bake cookies.  I would have guessed that I had posted this cookie recipe a long time ago, but it doesn't seem to be here, so I'm posting it now.  The Kindle photo above shows these cookies being packaged in a tin, which is only right, as you will see if you read on.

This is an old favorite that I often made years ago.  When my daughters were at boarding school in the 1990s, I routinely sent tins of cookies back to school with them after the weekend.  These cookies seemed necessary to get them and their friends through the week.  There were a number of different types of cookies that I baked, and this is one of the recipes that I used.

One friend of Carrie's, in particular, loved these chocolate cookies with a marshmallow half hidden under frosting,  and so from time to time I would make them just for her.

Here's the recipe:

CHOCO-MARSHMALLOW COOKIES
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening -- I used butter flavor Crisco®, but I'm sure you could use butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup milk
Chopped walnuts if you like -- I never use them
18 regular marshmallows cut in half horizontally
Cocoa Frosting (recipe follows)

Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; set aside.

Cream together shortening and sugar in bowl until light and fluffy, using electric mixer at medium speed.  Add egg and vanilla, beating well.

Add dry ingredients alternately with milk to creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.  Add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts if you are using them. 

Drop mixture by teaspoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, on parchment-lined baking sheets.  Bake in 350º oven for 10 minutes.  Top each with a marshmallow half, cut side down.  Return to oven for 2 minutes.

Let cool slightly before transferring cookies to cooling racks. 

When completely cooled, frost with Cocoa Frosting, swirling frosting to cover the marshmallow.  Makes about 3 dozen.

COCOA FROSTING
2 cups confectioners sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
Dash of salt
3 Tblsp.melted butter
4 Tblsp. cream or milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Sift sugar, cocoa and salt into mixing bowl.  Add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth and creamy.

A couple of notes:
* I used Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Baking Flour in these most recently.
* I doubled the recipe, but found I did not need to double the frosting amount.

This recipe was one I originally found in Farm Journal's Choice Chocolate Recipes --  a favorite cookbook and well used.  Its pages are liberally spattered with chocolate, and whole sections have come loose from the book.  Are you familiar with Farm Journal cookbooks?  I loved them and own quite a few of them.

Hope your family enjoys these cookies if you try the recipe!

8 comments:

  1. Oh those sound delicious! I like that they use a marshmallow half instead of marshmallow fluff. Sounds less messy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are good, Vee. I made a batch for my uncle for his birthday, and everyone he shared them with raved about them. And my aunt had to have the recipe!

      Yes, using a marshmallow half means really no mess at all. I cut them in half with kitchen scissors. That said, they do remain nice and soft, almost (but not quite) gooey, on the inside.

      Delete
  2. These sound delicious! I know my grands would love them! Chocolate and marshmallows are a wonderful match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of my older recipes and I hadn't made them in years until 2019. They're really quite easy to make and are so good! Hope your grands enjoy the cookies if you bake them some!

      I would add that I doubled the cookie recipe but did not double the frosting, and there was still plenty of it.

      Delete
  3. My friend who loved these cookies is coming home to NH from South Africa with her family for 6 weeks this fall. I'm hoping to see them, and maybe I will have to make some of these cookies for her! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how nice that they can be here for 6 weeks! Wouldn't that be fun to bake her a batch of these cookies?!

      I wonder if her kids will like them as much as she did?

      Delete
  4. Never tried these, but they do look very good

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you'll give them a try, Lucie! They would even make a nice Christmas cookie.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.