Sunday, June 20, 2021

Sunday Scripture

 

 Here goes with another Sunday post from my Fall 2020 study of 2 Corinthians with Good Morning Girls.  This is the tenth such post.  (Since I had my own graphic for this verse -- made with Canva -- I can take a break from the fall-like graphics!) As mentioned previously, I use the SOAP method of Bible study , and their study guide uses a similar method.  For 2 Corinthians chapter 10, the verse to study was verse 5, but I opted to study both verses 4 and 5.  

S= "(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds),
"Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." (2 Corinthians 10:4-5)

O= In verse 3 Paul notes that though we live and work in this flesh, our war with sin does not need to be fought with fleshly, carnal weapons.  Instead, the weapons of our warfare are mighty through God.  They are mighty enough for: 

* pulling down strongholds
* casting down imaginations
* casting down high things that exalt themselves against the knowledge of God
* bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.

A= Our weapons include things like truth, righteousness, prayer, God's Word, and especially the shield of faith with which we quench Satan's fiery darts.  We cannot fight spiritual battles with fleshly weapons.  But when we put on the armor of God, we can effectively fight our spiritual battles and be victorious.  We can pull down strongholds in our lives.  We can cast down imaginations and lofty opinions.  It is even possible to bring every one of our thoughts into captivity and make them obedient and pleasing to Christ.

P= "Lord, I am so thankful for the practicality of Your Word.  I'm so thankful for the clear teaching that we cannot fight our spiritual battles in our own very limited strength, but can take up Your armor to fight effectively and win.  I pray that you will help me to pull down longstanding strongholds in my life and to make my every thought obedient to You.  I thank You for all You will do, in Jesus' name, Amen."

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful message today. We need more than ever to put on and KEEP on the Full Armor of God. We are in a spiritual warfare battle every day, no matter where we are or what we are doing. Satan and his minions are surrounding us in the most innocent looking ways, trying their best to break down our defenses and make us think we need to do as they do and think like they think. More than ever we need to keep our armor on and stay well versed in God's Word so that we have a ready answer for those who would accuse us. Thank you for this timely message.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.