Monday, June 14, 2021

Monday musings

 

Image by Abby at Little Birdie Blessings.  Perfect for Flag Day!
 

 Just a few musings on this rainy-ish Monday that can't seem to make up its mind.  The scent of baking cookies is in the air as my hubby, inspired by the cool day, whips up a double batch of Chocolate Mint Crisps.  This has been on his to-do list for weeks.  He has so many people he wants to share some cookies with!

One of the cookie jars at our little camp is nearly empty of these (the other contains Oreos in the Peanut Butter Pie flavor) and they are much enjoyed by the grandchildren.  Last week, Arielle (age 6) was meditatively nibbling at a cookie and offered this observation:  "I think these might be my favorite cookies."

This morning, the flag wave group Mr. T is part of met for a special flag wave in honor of Flag Day.  At least one sign read,  "Happy Birthday Mr. President"!  The photo below is just a shot of a few of the folks at Saturday's flag wave.  They have been doing this on Saturday mornings for many months now and they always get an overwhelmingly positive response.


We had a nice weekend -- Saturday we went to an outdoor concert our granddaughter was in -- sadly, I got no pictures.  On Sunday we enjoyed services at our own church, as well as at Grace Baptist in the afternoon, where the same granddaughter was playing a solo on her violin.  Such a blessing to spend time with other believers around God's Word, worshiping Him in song, and just enjoying Christian fellowship.

Quinoa with Roasted Vegetables is a recipe I've made a couple of times this summer.  

 

It makes a great light main dish and uses a lot of nice fresh vegetables.  I like that it includes eggplant and yet is so much easier than making eggplant parmesan or moussaka.  There's an herb drizzle that goes on at the end and adds a ton of flavor.

 Speaking of flavor, our chives are in blossom and I am so tickled to have a great recipe to make them into Chive Blossom Vinegar.   I made some a couple years ago.  It comes out a pretty pink and adds nice flavor to a salad.

I'm beginning to work on Christmas in July posts for my Christmas blog, Mrs. T's Christmas Kitchen

 

 As I began writing and scheduling the posts for July, I got to wondering how many years I have been doing this Christmas in July thing.  A little research revealed that 2021 will be the 10th year.  I'm thinking some celebratory gifting to blog readers may be in order.  We will see!

Guess those are all the musings I have time for today.  What's happening in your world today?

3 comments:

  1. We had a rainy day as well, and I baked a peach and blueberry cobbler! It was yummy with some whipped cream on top. Fresh peaches and fresh blueberries make such a difference in how a cobbler tastes! If it keeps raining this week, as I think it might, I will probably do some cookie baking on one of those days as well. Rainy days and cookie baking seem to go hand in hand. Yours sound wonderful! I love the idea of having your cookie jars full at the camp. You are living my dream! Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love your musings. I feel like we are old friends just chatting away. I am off to have breakfast with a friend at a local eatery. Then I plan to drop off a piece of needlework at the Framers, stop by Dollar Tree then come home and do some chores. Marvin helped me change the bed first thing, I put towels and sheets in the washer so I feel I am ahead of the chores today. This chat reminds me so much of the Forum we met in years ago. I believe Kelly was the admin. I know she left blogging and the forum to start an ETSY shop. I wonder how she is doing now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not much. Today is similar to yesterday with the cooler temps and the showers. I have thought about baking banana bread all day. It's not going to happen I guess as a nap seems more pressing. Those cookies look so good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.