Sunday, August 15, 2021

Sunday Scripture

 

As mentioned,  I'm posting every Sunday for awhile from a simple study of Psalms that I worked on last summer.  It was such a good one to be studying in 2020 -- and some of it was done while we were visiting places like Grand Canyon and Zion National Park.  As I've shared before, there couldn't have been a better backdrop; it was completely awe-inspiring and there were so many great reminders of just how amazing God is!

This Psalms study is another from Good Morning Girls.  These are simple studies but I get a lot from them.  I like to use the SOAP method of Bible study, and the journal from GMG uses a very similar method.  I find it a real blessing whether I am studying shorter passages or longer ones, and I hope that you will give this method a try if you haven't ever done so.  

Today's study is from Psalm 115.  The suggested verse for meditating on was Psalm 115:1, but I chose to study Psalm 115:1-3 and Psalm 115:18.

S = "Not unto us, O LORD, not unto us, but unto Thy name give glory, for Thy mercy, and for Thy truth's sake. 
"Wherefore should the nations say, Where is now their God?
"But our God is in the heavens; He hath done whatsoever He hath pleased.
"We will bless the LORD from this time forth and forevermore.  Praise the LORD." (Psalm 115:1-3,18)

O=  Scofield's title for this psalm is "To God alone be the glory".  Verses 1 through 3 rehearse this statement and allude to God's mercy, truth, and sovereignty.
Verses 4 through 8 describe the ineffectiveness of idols.  Verses 9 through 11 urge God's people to trust in Him, their help and shield.  Verses 12 through 16 begin with the words "The LORD hath been mindful of us" and describe how God blesses His people.

A= God's plan is for each of His children to bring Him glory.  Bottom line, that is His purpose in saving us.  Bringing Him glory, living out His purpose, may look different in each of our lives because of the various skills, abilities, and spiritual gifts He has equipped us with.  He has blessed me so abundantly.  May I take seriously the exhortations to glorify His name!

P=  "Lord, I cannot even begin to adequately thank You for all that You have done in my life.  Not only have you saved me from hell and a sinful life, but You have equipped me for life and service.  I know that You would have me use all that You've given me to bring glory to Your name.  I pray that You will help me to do just that in every area of life.  In Jesus' name, Amen."

There is this week's Sunday Scripture!  I hope it's a blessing to someone today.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful message to start off my Sunday morning. Thank you for this passage, which helps us to focus our thoughts on God and His glory, no matter what the situation is around us. He has done great things for us and we are so very very thankful. May the Lord bless you and yours this Sunday morning and throughout the week. We are indeed most blessed to be His children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it was a blessing to you, Pam! I am finding that these Sunday posts are an encouragement to me, as well. Especially with all of the insanity going on in our world right now! So thankful that all is in His sovereign hands.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.