Sunday, October 24, 2021

Sunday Scripture

 

Just a note for those who may be coming in late -- I've been posting each Sunday about a simple study of Psalms that I worked on throughout summer 2020.  It was a perfect study to be working on amid the uncertainties of that year -- and some of it was done sitting at picnic tables while camping in the midst of God's glorious creation.  There just couldn't have been a better backdrop --so awe-inspiring, and so many great reminders of God's amazing power and endless creativity!  Again this week, all of this fits so well with today's verse.

This Psalms study is another from Good Morning Girls.  Although I love more in-depth Bible studies, but these simpler ones are also a blessing to do.  I like to use the SOAP method of Bible study, and the journal from GMG uses a very similar method.  I find this method a real blessing whether I am studying shorter passages or longer ones, so I hope you'll give it a try if you haven't ever done so. Just a reminder that the S is for Scripture -- just write it out -- and the O is for Observation, the A is for Application and the P is for prayer -- concerning how you'll apply this verse or praise for what it means to you.

Today's study is from Psalm 125.  Today we were to look closely at verse 1.  I chose to study both verses 1 and 2.

S=  "They who trust in the LORD shall be as Mount Zion, which cannot be removed, but abideth forever.
       "As the mountains are round about Jerusalem, so the LORD is round about His people from henceforth even forever."  (Psalm 125:1-2)

O=  In the Scofield Reference Bible, C.I. Scofield gives this psalm the title "The LORD's encompassing protection".   

Those who trust in the LORD are said to be like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved but will abide forever.  This is the kind of firm trust that believers can have.

A second word picture involving mountains is that the LORD is round about His people forever, even as mountains are round about the city of Jerusalem.

I found some wonderful commentary on these verses in Spurgeon's Treasury of David:  

"The hill of Zion is the type of the believer's constancy, and the surrounding mountains are made emblems of the all-surrounding presence of the Lord.  The mountains around the holy city, though they do not make a circular wall, are, nevertheless, set like sentinels to guard her gates.  God ... so orders the arrangement of His providence that His saints are as safe as if they dwelt behind the strongest fortifications.  What a double security the two verses set before us!
"Note, it is not said that Jehovah's power or wisdom defends believers, but He Himself is round about them; they have His personality for their protection, His Godhead for their guard ... The two verses together prove the eternal safety of the saints: they must abide where God has placed them, and God must for ever protect them from all evil.  It would be difficult to imagine greater safety than is here set forth." -- Charles Spurgeon

"It is not enough that we are encompassed about with fiery walls, that is, with the sure custody, the continual watch and ward of the angels; but the Lord Himself is our wall: so that every way we are defended by the Lord against all dangers.  Above us is His heaven, on both sides He is as a wall, under us He is as a strong rock whereupon we stand: so we are everywhere sure and safe." -- Martin Luther

A= I woke up in the early hours of the morning and felt a little fearful for some reason.  One of the verses that came to my mind was this verse 2 -- reminding me that God is round about His people just as the mountains are round about Jerusalem.  What a comfort it was, and I could go back to sleep resting in God's protection.  I'm so thankful that God has given us the capacity for unshakable trust in Him, and the rock-solid truths for it to rest upon.

P= "Lord, I am so very thankful that You are round about Your people, just as mountains surround Jerusalem.  What a beautiful word picture!  As your child, I've been blessed with the capacity for an unshakable trust in You, and the innumerable truths of Your Word for my faith to rest upon.  We're living in very unstable times, and I'm so thankful that You are protecting and caring for Your people.  I praise You in Jesus' name, Amen."

There's the Sunday Scripture for this week!  I hope it was a blessing to you.

1 comment:

  1. Love Spurgeon. He had so many insights. And you, surrounded by the mountains of New Hampshire, have unique insights into this imagery. God will see us through.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.