Sunday, October 03, 2021

Sunday Scripture

 

All of my readers realize by now that I'm posting each Sunday about a simple study of Psalms that I worked on throughout summer 2020.  It was such a good study to be working on amid the uncertainties of that year -- and some of it was done sitting at picnic tables as we camped in the midst of God's glorious creation.  There just couldn't have been a better backdrop --so awe-inspiring, and so many great reminders of God's amazing power and endless creativity!

This Psalms study is another from Good Morning Girls.  As I've said before, these are simple studies but I really do enjoy them and get a lot from them.  I very much enjoy more in-depth Bible studies as well, but these simpler ones are also a blessing to do.  I like to use the SOAP method of Bible study, and the journal from GMG uses a very similar method.  I find this method a real blessing whether I am studying shorter passages or longer ones, so I hope you'll give it a try if you haven't ever done so. Just a reminder that the S is for Scripture -- just write it out -- and the O is for Observation, the A is for Application and the P is for prayer concerning how you'll apply this verse or praise for what it means to you.

Today's study is from Psalm 122, and the verse we were to closely consider is verse 1.   

S=  "I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD."  (Psalm 122:1) 

O=   This is a song of David, one of the "songs of degrees" that were sung by pilgrims on their way up to Jerusalem.  David says he was glad when others said to him, "Let us go into the house of the LORD."  

Two wonderful cross-references speak of a time yet future, in the millennial age when Jerusalem has been made the central place where the world worships:

"And the inhabitants of one city shall go to another, saying, Let us go speedily to pray before the LORD, and to seek the LORD of hosts; I will go also."  (Zechariah 8:21)

"And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and He will teach us of His ways, and we will walk in His paths; for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the Word of the Lord from Jerusalem."  (Isaiah 2:3)

A= In these "pandemic" days, our churches were shut down for weeks and months.  Thankfully, we were able to continue our prayer meetings since only a handful of people attended.  We were very thankful indeed when we could reopen, and our entire church family could "go into the house of the LORD".  I believe it made us more appreciative of the freedoms we had long enjoyed and also of the importance of fellowshipping together as a church body.

P=  "Lord, I do thank and praise You for the blessing of spending time with Your people in Your house.  It has always been a delight to me, but it has been doubly precious since we could not gather there as a church body for many weeks.  What a blessing it is to look forward to the millennial age when many people will want to go to the house of the Lord and learn and pray together.  Lord, hasten the day when our faith will become sight!  In Christ's name, Amen."

And that is this week's Sunday Scripture.  I hope it's been a blessing to you.


2 comments:

  1. Ahhh...now I see what you have done with that verse. It opens it up and expands it. That must help with understanding and memory. Cool. I may have to try it, though I read several chapters daily and it won't work for that, but for narrowing in—yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it open up and expand it so much? I love how this method works! It's so simple but so effective. And yes, it does help with memory as well as understanding. As you work with a verse, you may find yourself memorizing it. Maybe you could try it out by selecting just one verse out of your daily chapters.

      I often find myself using this method with any verse or short passage that I would like to understand more fully. I hope you find it as much of a blessing as I have, if you try it!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.