Sunday, December 04, 2022

Sunday Scripture

 


As I mentioned last week in my post about Advent and Christmas Bible studies,  in 2020 I used Peace, Be Still: A 31-Day Christmas prayer journal, from Women Living Well.  I had thought I might use some of my simple study from this book as Scripture Sunday posts for December.  I have decided to do so, using different posts on each of my blogs to keep it interesting for all of my readers.  I will take two from each week's study to use one each on my blogs, and maybe next December use more of them.

Also -- note that this simple study does not use the SOAP method as my studies usually do.  This one includes a verse for the day, a thought for the day,  a reflection question for the day and space to write a prayer for each day.  I tended to look at the verse a little bit in depth, and I tended to answer the reflection question in the prayer, but of course you can use these any way you want to .   Here goes with the study for Week 1, Day 1!

Verse for the day:

"Nevertheless when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth; for He shall not speak of Himself, but whatever He shall hear, that shall He speak, and He will show you things to come."  (John 16:13)

My study: 

In verses 7-11, Jesus had described the threefold work of the Holy Spirit toward the world.  In verse 12 he noted that He had much more to say, but that the Twelve could not bear those things at that time.  

After His ascension, when the Holy Spirit came upon them, they would be able to be taught of Him as He guided them into all truth and declared to them the things that were to come in the future. He will guide us into all truth, as well, as we look to Him to lead us.

Reflection question:

In what area of your life are you in need of guidance or counsel?  Write it out below and then be still and wait on the Lord, to show you His way.

My prayer:

"Dear God,  I need guidance and counsel in so many areas of my life.  One of the very biggest areas of need is the wise use of my time.  The need to have my priorities in right order is another.  There is no way I can sort these things out in my own wisdom; I need Your guidance and direction for each and every day.  I pray that You will help me to be sensitive to Your leading throughout each day, and I thank You for all You'll do, in Jesus' name, Amen."

That's the Sunday Scripture for the day.  Hope it was a blessing to you!

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate this verse of scripture right now, and also your own prayer. May I echo that prayer along with you. I need the Lord to guide me especially during these days leading up to Christmas, that I may prioritize my time as well and use it for God's honor and glory...and not waste this opportunity to serve Him through the giving of gifts and sharing His love with others in the Christmas season. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes. So important, and impossible to do without God's help and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.