Sunday, January 29, 2023

Sunday Scripture

 


 Again this Sunday, I'm sharing from the Made for Community reading plan from Love God Greatly that I worked on back in 2015.  With this study, as I have often done, I used the SOAP method of Bible study.  Just a quick reminder that the S is for Scripture, O is for Observation, A is for Application and P is for Prayer.  The eighth section is Made for Community Challenge Week.  So here we go with the Scripture for the second day of that section.

S= "Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality ... Be not overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."  (Romans 12:13, 21)

O= Paul has begun chapter 12 by instructing the believers -- indeed, by beseeching them -- to present their bodies as living sacrifices to God, which is simply their reasonable service.  He has added that they are not to be conformed to this world, but are to be transformed by the renewing of their minds, so that they may prove the will of God.  

He goes on to list many of the ways this transformation is lived out by use of one's spiritual gifts, both within and outside of the family of God.  Verse 13 deals with our fellow believers: we are to be "distributing to the necessity of saints."  Here are some cross-references:

"But to do good and to share forget not; for with such sacrifices God is well pleased."  (Hebrews 13:16)

"Use hospitality one to another without grudging."  (1 Peter 4:9)

Verse 13 of Romans 12 goes on to add that believers should be "given to hospitality."

Then Romans 12:21 states that believers are not to be overcome by evil.  Instead, we are to overcome evil with good.  The cross-reference here points back to verses 1 and 2.

A= Am I doing good and sharing with my fellow believers? I try to; that's certainly my mindset.  Over the years my family and I have also been definitely "given to hospitality".  And it is such a blessing!

And how about when evil comes my way?  Am I overcome by it?  Sometimes I do feel overwhelmed by it.  But instead, my response to evil should be to overcome it with good.  

As I look at this, verse 13 seems to be a natural result of using my spiritual gifts (two of which are giving and hospitality).  Verse 21 can only be lived out as I yield myself to God as a living sacrifice with a transformed mind.

P= "Lord, I pray that You will help me in the areas I've considered here.  Giving, and showing hospitality, come fairly easily to me as as a result of the spiritual gifts You've given me.  But I must admit there are times when I don't feel hospitable, and I need help from You.

"Overcoming evil with good, however -- that does not come easily at all.  When I'm able to do this, it is completely supernatural.  In my flesh, it would never even occur to me.  When I am faced with evil in any form, I pray You will help me not to be overcome by it, but instead to overcome it with good.  I thank You for all You'll do, in Jesus' name, Amen."

And that's the Sunday Scripture for this week.  I hope it was a blessing to someone!

3 comments:

  1. His words to overcome evil with good are intense. Facing evil is difficult and facing evil and overcoming it with good is impossible without Him. That would be my prayer, too. Not my first inclination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live in an ever increasing world of evil as we draw closer to the last days before Christ returns. We will find our faith tested more and more and our ability to overcome evil with good will be tested as well. But all things are possible with God. We have to keep our hearts and minds focused on Him and allow Him to work through us if we expect to overcome the evil around us. I pray for His help and guidance and strength every day. He is faithful, and I am thankful and blessed. Great lesson. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautifully shared dear Sarah! I love the SOAP application. I worked in medical transcription for many years and the doctors would use a SOAP format for their patient exams. S - subjective. O - objective A - assessment P - plan. I love the SOAP in the biblical application for study! It really helps to break scripture down like this, and apply the meat of the word to our own personal lives. May the blessings of the Lord be rich in your life today dear friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.