Sunday, February 25, 2024

Sunday Scripture

 


Here's the second in our new series for Sunday Scripture!  Back in 2018, I did a simple study from Rachel Wojo called Everything Beautiful.  You can read about it here: Everything Beautiful Bible reading plan. My answers and input on this series will likely be a combination of what I learned back then, and what I found in looking over the Scriptures now, six years later.  I'm going to attempt to SOAP the passages too, though some of them are longer. 

S=  "Preserve me, O God; for in Thee do I put my trust.
"O my soul, thou hast said unto the LORD, Thou art my Lord: my goodness extendeth not to Thee;
"But to the saints that are in the earth, and to the excellent, in whom is all my delight.
"Their sorrows shall be multiplied that hasten after another god: their drink offerings of blood will I not offer, nor take up their names into my lips.
"The LORD is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: Thou maintainest my lot.
"The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage.
"I will bless the LORD, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons.
"I have set the LORD always before me: because He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
"Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.
"For Thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt Thou suffer Thine Holy One to see corruption.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in Thy presence is fulness of joy; at Thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."   (Psalm 16:1-11)

O= This psalm is titled by Scofield "The path of love and joy."

The Bible titles it "Michtam of David".  I've mentioned this before, but Spurgeon notes in The Treasury of David: "Michtam is usually understood to mean THE GOLDEN PSALM, and such a title is most appropriate, for the matter is as the most fine gold."

Psalm 16 is considered to be a Messianic psalm pointing to the resurrection of Christ.

But it has a message for me as well, a message that I can take from this without doing any disservice to the Scriptures:

1) God will preserve those who put their trust in Him; they are eternally secure.
2) God is my portion and the One who maintains my lot.
3) God will give me counsel as I look to Him.

4) God will show me the path of life.
5) In God's presence there is fullness of joy.
6) At God's right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Here are a few cross-references:

"Preserve" (verse 1) -- "Keep me as the apple of the eye: hide me under the shadow of Thy wings."  (Psalm 17:8) 

"Whom" (verse 3) -- "I am a companion of all those who fear Thee, and of those who keep Thy precepts."  (Psalm 119:63)

"Lips" (verse 4) -- "And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect; and make no mention of the names of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth."  (Exodus 23:13)

"I have set the LORD always before me ... " (verse 8) -- The cross-reference here is to Acts 2:25-28 where Peter is preaching.  He quotes this verse and more from Psalm 16.

Concerning the word "trust" (verse 1) Scofield explains, "Trust is the characteristic Old Testament word for the New Testament 'faith' and 'believe'.  It occurs 152 times in the OT and is the rendering of Hebrew words signifying to take refuge, to lean on, to roll on, to wait for."

Wow!  does that ever give dimension to what it means to trust biblically!

Regarding verse 2, Warren Wiersbe notes in With the Word, "You have taken a giant step toward true Christian maturity when you can say to the Lord and mean it, 'my goodness is nothing apart from You'."

 

A= Warren Wiersbe notes that this psalm highlights
* Good fellowship -- "God's people are not perfect, but we should delight in their fellowship and not in the fellowship of the world's crowd."
* Good heritage -- "Not just God's gifts, but God Himself!"
* Good counsel -- "God gives wisdom if you will ask Him.  God teaches you in the darkness as well as in the light."
* Good hope -- This passage is one of the few in the Old Testament dealing with resurrection.  It refers to the resurrection of Christ, and that is what gives us our hope."

 For this Scripture, there were a number of ways to apply it as prompted in the journal.  

"My most beautiful treasure awaits in heaven." -- Rachel Wojo

The question was asked: What one thought can I surrender to create room for seeing moments of grace?

My response in 2018: I can surrender the erroneous thought that God doesn't see,  know, or care what is happening in my life.  This will help me to see the beautiful moments of grace that He allows even in the midst of a painful situation.

Answering this same question in 2024

My response: I can surrender the erroneous thought that God is not in control of all that is happening in our world.  That will leave room for noticing and appreciating the grace that God does give even in the midst of difficulty.  Not only does He give me grace for dealing with life in our culture, but He is gracious to let His beauty in Creation shine on the just and the unjust.

This prompt was given, along with a list: Today I will keep my eyes open for God's beauty in one or more of these places.

These are the places I circled: The words I read; the people I encounter; the air I breathe; the weather I experience; the rest I receive; the grace I give.

In 2024 I can note that the people I encounter included dear old friends we met for a breakfast out and then several hours of delightful fellowship.  Christian friendship has a beauty all its own when we encourage one another in the Lord.  And oh, we did.

A journaling prompt was this: Everything God made is beautiful.  Where have I noticed God's beauty in the last 24 hours?

2018: In the eyes of my grandchildren; in the gentle hug of a little grandson who was so concerned about me: "How are you feeling?"; in a delicious meal, carefully served; in blue skies and white clouds; in the healing power of arnica oil.

2024: We met our friends for breakfast at a pancake house. Man's artistry translated the beauty of God's Creation in metal wall sconces shaped like maple leaves, among other lovely touches.  I also saw God's beauty in a crisp and beautiful winter morning ... frost sparkles like glitter on snow and frozen grass, and the sun lighting the tops of leafless hardwood trees.

P= "Lord, I thank You today that You are the One who maintains my lot.  In March 2018 things looked and felt out of control in my physical life.  Today, in 2024, things look and feel out of control in our world.  Yet I know that things are not, and have never been, out of Your control.  You have a good plan and I am blessed to see it unfolding.  Knowing that You maintain our lot and lead us in good paths is such a comfort.  I thank You for all that You are doing and all that You will do, in Jesus' name, Amen."

And there is the Sunday Scripture for this week!  I'd love some input on this series so far.  Do you think it is working?

2 comments:

  1. Amen. Wise words. 🩵

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sandi! I appreciate your input.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.