Sunday, April 07, 2024

Sunday Scripture

 


We're back to our ongoing series for Sunday Scripture!  Back in 2018, I did a simple study from Rachel Wojo called Everything Beautiful.  You can read about it here: Everything Beautiful Bible reading plan. My answers and input on this series are a combination of what I learned back then, and what I found in looking over the Scriptures now, six years later.  I'm going to attempt to SOAP the passages too, though some of them are longer. The passage for this week is Psalm 19:1-6.

S= "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth His handiwork.
"Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night showeth knowledge.
"There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
"Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world.  In them hath He set a tabernacle for the sun,
"Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
"His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the end of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof."  (Psalm 19:1-6)

O= This psalm is titled by C.I. Scofield in the Scofield Reference Bible: "The works and Word of God".  Very appropriate, since verses 1-6 have to do with God's work in creation and how it speaks to mankind, and verses 7-14 deal specifically with His Word.

This is a psalm of David, and one can't help but think of how often David must have observed the night sky, as well as the rising and setting sun, during his time as a shepherd.

David says: * The heavens declare the glory of God
* The firmament shows God's handiwork.
* Day unto day utters speech.
* Night unto night shows knowledge
* There is no speech or language where the declaration of the heavens cannot be heard.
* Their line (or sound) has gone out through all the earth.
* Their words have gone out to the end of the world.
* God has set a tabernacle for the sun in the heavens.
* The sun is compared to a bridegroom coming out of his chamber.
* The sun rejoices like a strong man about to run a race.
* The circuit of the sun goes forth from the end of the heaven to the ends of the heaven.
* Nothing is hidden from the heat of the sun.

Cross-reference for "declare" -- (v.1) "Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shown it unto them.  For the invisible things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse."  (Romans 1:19-20)

Scofield comments that the universe "is a revelation of the power and Deity of God."

Cross-reference for "firmament" (v.1) -- "And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.  And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament; and it was so.  And God called the firmament Heaven."  (Genesis 1:6-8a)

"Firmament" in Hebrew literally means "expanse". 

In the ESV verse 2 reads: "Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge."

For "their line" (v.4) although the ESV reads "their voice", it also notes that it could be "their measuring line".  Other texts read "their sound".  The ESV references Romans 10:18 where Paul quotes this verse:

"But I say, Have they not heard?  Yes, verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the end of the world."

For "which comes out" (v.5 -- referring to the sun) -- a cross-reference is Judges 5:31 -- "So let all Thine enemies perish, O LORD; but let them who love Him be as the sun when he goeth forth in his might."

For verse 6 we are referred to Ecclesiastes 1:5-6 -- "The sun rises, and the sun goes down, and hastens to the place where it arises.  The wind blows to the south and goes around to the north; around and around goes the wind, and on its circuits the wind returns."  (ESV)

A = For this Scripture, there were a number of ways to apply it as prompted in the journal.  

"Glancing upward always reveals the beauty of God." -- Rachel Wojo

The question was asked: Which of my own words have blocked the beauty of God's Word?

My response in 2018: Maybe words like "I am so tired of this", when I should be thinking on the fact that God's grace is sufficient for me, and His strength is made perfect in my weakness. 

Answering this same question in 2024

My response:  "I can't" -- when God's Word clearly tells me I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

"It's too hard" when God's Word clearly states that there is nothing too hard for Him.

"I feel as if my body (not to mention our world) is falling apart" when God's Word makes it clear that He is holding all things together.

"I'm afraid" -- when God's Word tells me explicitly, numerous times, to fear not, and that fear is not from Him.

When I fail to take God at His Word, I am failing to trust Him. 

This prompt was given, along with a list: Today I will keep my eyes open for God's beauty in one or more of these places.

These are the places I circled: The words I read; the places I go; the music I hear; the air I breathe; the people I encounter; the weather I experience; the rest I receive.

In 2024 I can note that the words I read in Psalm 19 are very beautiful indeed as they describe the heavens so magnificently and make it so clear that God intends the skies to proclaim His glory.

For the places I go, I included an interesting downtown, a river bridge, the sight of a robin hopping about on a side street, and the aromas of Thai and Greek food as we strolled past the backs of buildings. 

 For the music I hear,  and the people I see, I noted this: Our church teens did the entire service on Palm Sunday.  The beautiful music and their servant spirits -- doing all to God's glory -- made it even more of a blessing.

For the weather I experience, I noted: Over 20 inches of snow!  Although we thought spring was on the way, our winter has been extended.  We might as well enjoy it!

For the air I breathe, still and quiet in the early morning.  It feels so fresh.

And for the rest I receive, I noted that we're making a serious effort to get to bed earlier.  It's really helping.

A journaling prompt was this: List one or more ideas to remind myself to intentionally look for God's beauty throughout the day.

My response in 2018:  Look out the window and notice the wintry beauty.  Soak up any sun that may come my way.  Walk on the porch if possible, breathing deeply and listening for birdsong.

My response in 2024: Take a walk downtown.  Enjoy the spring sunshine.  Appreciate the beauty of 20-plus inches of new snow.

P= "Lord, I need to glance upward throughout this day.  I'm realizing that I often block the beauty of Your Word with my own inaccurate words.  I pray that You will forgive me for this and continue to deepen my trust in You.

Remind me that there is nothing too hard for You and that Christ will strengthen me to do all things through Him. I know that You are in full control, even though things may appear otherwise, and that You are holding all things together.  So many times in Your Word You tell people that they need not fear in the midst of difficult circumstances.  I know that fear is not from You.  Help me to cling tightly to all that I know about You.

I need to remember that Your grace is sufficient for me and that Your strength will be perfected in my weakness  I pray that You will help me to continually look to You and not my circumstances  ...  and I praise You for all You have done and are doing, in Jesus' name, Amen."

And there is the Sunday Scripture for this week!  I'd love some input on this series so far.  I hope some of you will share your thoughts with me!  

2 comments:

  1. I always enjoy these... thank you. Staying positive with all the negative around us. And even when the weather gives us a big surprise.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.