Sunday, April 28, 2024

Sunday Scripture

 


It's time for another Sunday Scripture!  As I've mentioned, back in 2018 I did a simple study from Rachel Wojo called Everything Beautiful.  You can read about it here: Everything Beautiful Bible reading plan. My answers and input on this series are a combination of what I learned back then, and what I found in looking over the Scriptures now, six years later.  I'm going to attempt to SOAP the passages too, though some of them are longer. The passage for this week is James 1:11-17.  Here we go!

S=  "For the sun is no sooner risen with a burning heat, but it withers the grass, and its flower falleth, and the grace of the fashion of it perisheth; so also shall the rich man fade away in his ways.
"Blessed is the man that endureth temptation, for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love Him.
"Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God; for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man;
"But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
"Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin; and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
"Do not err, my beloved brethren.
"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning."  (James 1:11-17)

O=  Warren Wiersbe says, "The epistle of James is a practical book that discusses living the faith.  It contains echoes of the Sermon on the Mount and the book of Proverbs, both of which are practical."

I love what C.I. Scofield wrote about the book of James:  "With its stress upon practical Christian living, the Epistle of James reflects, in its style and in its frequent references to the Sermon on the Mount, the mind and teaching of its writer's divine Brother." 

Yes, as most of us know, James, who wrote this epistle, was the half-brother of Jesus, being the son of Mary and Joseph.  It's striking that James doesn't mention that fact, but instead introduces himself as "the bondservant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ" in verse 1.  Many years ago when teaching either Sunday School or Vacation Bible School, I was using curriculum which erroneously identified the writer of the book of James as a different James -- the son of Zebedee, brother of John.  Ever since then, I've made sure that when I teach from the book of James I mention who the writer really was, realizing I can't make assumptions that people have understood this correctly.

Now for my observations on these verses 11-17:

Verse 11 begins our passage with a word picture: No sooner has the sun risen than its burning heat:
🌿 withers the grass
🌿 causes the flowers to fall
🌿 causes the beautiful appearance of the grass and flowers to perish.  

The rich man's pursuits will fade away in a similar fashion.

The man who endures temptation (v.12) will be blessed, for he will  one day receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love Him.

Verses 13-16 deal with the facts about temptation to do evil, and how important it is not to deceive ourselves about that.  

🔍 When we are tempted, don't claim we are tempted by God.  That's impossible!
🔍 God cannot be tempted by evil.
🔍 God does not tempt anyone.

We are tempted when:

🔍 We are drawn away and enticed by our own lust.
🔍 Lust conceives and brings forth sin.
🔍 Sin, in the end, brings forth death.

Every good and perfect gift, though, is from above.  These gifts come down from God, the Father of lights, with whom:

1) There is no variableness;
2) There is not even a shadow of turning.

Cross-references for "endureth" (v.12) -- "For ye have need of patience that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise."  (Hebrews 10:36)

"Behold, we count them happy who endure.  Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord, that the Lord is very pitiful and of tender mercy."  (James 5:11)

Cross-references for "crown of life" (v.12) -- "And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away." (1 Peter 5:4)

"And they that be wise shall shine like the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness, as the stars forever and ever."  (Daniel 12:3)

Scofield comments: "God, in the New Testament Scriptures, offers to the lost, salvation, and for the faithful service of the saved, He offers rewards."

Cross-reference for "life" (v.12) -- "Narrow is the gate, and hard is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."  (Matthew 7:14)

It is eternal life that's being spoken of here.

Concerning "tempted" (v.14), Scofield writes: "The concept of testing or temptation is expressed [in the Bible] not only by the words translated 'test' or 'tempt' but also by the words rendered 'provoke', 'entice', 'snare', etc.  The primary meaning is usually that of proving by testing, or testing under trial.  Less frequently the sense is that of enticement or solicitation to evil [as here]."

Cross-reference for "conceived' (v.15) -- "Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood."  (Psalm 7:14)

Note concerning "sin" (v.15) -- "Sin may be summarized as threefold: 1) an act, the violation of or want of obedience to, the revealed will of God; 2) a state, absence of righteousness; and 3) a nature, enmity toward God." -- C.I. Scofield

Cross-references for "death" (v. 15) -- "And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life.  And the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works." (Revelation 20:12)

"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it; for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."  (Genesis 2:17)

It is spiritual death being referred to in James 1:15: "Spiritual death is the state of the natural or unregenerate man as still in his sins, alienated from the life of God, and destitute of the Spirit.  Prolonged beyond the death of the body, spiritual death is a state of eternal separation from God in conscious suffering." -- Scofield

Note concerning "gift" (v.17) -- Scofield explains that "Two words are used in the Greek for "gift"; the first in v. 17 is dosis, denoting the act of giving; the second, dorema, meaning the thing given, the gift."

Variableness (v.17) = "variation."

Regarding "Father of lights" (v. 17) -- "God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all." (John 1:5)

Believer's Bible Commentary notes, "In the Bible the word Father sometimes has the meaning of Creator or Source.  [Job 38:28 is given as an example of this: "Hath the rain a father?  or who hath begotten the drops of dew?"]  Therefore God is the Creator or Source of lights.  But what is meant by lights?  Certainly it includes the heavenly bodies -- the sun, moon, and stars.  But God is also the Source of all spiritual light as well.  So we should think of Him as the Source of every form of light in the universe."

A = Warren Wiersbe explains in With the Word: "When you realize how good God is to you, you will have no interest in the temptations the enemy puts before you.  When you are tempted, count your blessings, and you will soon have strength to say no."

For this Scripture, there were a number of ways to apply it as prompted in the journal.  

"This world is temporary but His promises are forever." -- Rachel Wojo

The question was asked: What one thought can I surrender to create room for seeing moments of grace?

My response in 2018:The thought that somehow I deserve what has happened to me, that God has punished me for something.  I'm not dwelling on this, but it's at the back of my mind and not helpful.

Answering this same question in 2024:

  I had a hard time thinking of an answer this time.  One thought was that things are going downhill fast in our country and they just don't look good for us.  But God is not bound by how things look and feel and is able to give moments of grace even in the darkest times.

This prompt was given, along with a list: Today I will keep my eyes open for God's beauty in one or more of these places.

These are the places I circled: The words I read; the people I encounter; the food I eat; the air I breathe; the weather I experience; the rest I receive.

In 2024 I can note that for the people I encounter, two people were baptized recently.  They were glowing at having taken this step of obedience to God.

For the food I eat, I noticed how pretty green peppers and butternut squash cubes are roasted together.

A journaling prompt was this: Everything God made is beautiful.  Where have I noticed God's beauty in the last 24 hours?

My response in 2018: In the colors of a salad -- spring greens, cucumber, and grape tomatoes.  In the falling (and newly fallen) snow.  In the cross-stitch scene I'm working on.  In the brilliant colors of a crochet project.  In the loving, prayerful concern of blog friends.

For my response in 2024, I added: In a gorgeous pink and red sunrise one morning.  In the kindness of those who planned a simple time of encouragement for our pastor after prayer meeting.  In colorful goldfinches and purple finches (which are actually red) at our bird feeder and in our trees.

P= "Lord, I praise You that this world is temporary and Your promises are forever, and that You have promised a crown of life to those who love You.  

"Help me to remember that Your promises are much more true and real than any of my thoughts and emotions, and that Your loving care of me is a reality every day.   I thank and praise You for these things in Jesus' name , Amen."

And there is the Sunday Scripture for this week!  I'd love some more input on this series so far.  I hope more of you will share your thoughts with me!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.