Sunday, April 14, 2024

Sunday Scripture

 


It's time for another Sunday Scripture!  Back in 2018, I did a simple study from Rachel Wojo called Everything Beautiful.  You can read about it here: Everything Beautiful Bible reading plan. My answers and input on this series are a combination of what I learned back then, and what I found in looking over the Scriptures now, six years later.  I'm going to attempt to SOAP the passages too, though some of them are longer. The passage for this week is Psalm 111:1-10.

S= "Praise ye the LORD.  I will praise the LORD with my whole heart, in the assembly of the upright, and in the congregation.
"The works of the LORD are great, sought out of all them who have pleasure therein.
"His work is honorable and glorious: and His righteousness endureth forever.
"He hath made His wonderful works to be remembered: the LORD is gracious and full of compassion.
"He hath given food unto those who fear Him; He will be ever mindful of His covenant. 
"He hath shown His people the power of His works, that He may give them the heritage of the nations.
"The works of His hands are verity and justice; all His commandments are sure.
"They stand fast forever, and are done in truth and uprightness.
"He sent redemption unto His people; He hath commanded His covenant forever; holy and reverend is His name.
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom.  A good understanding have all they that do His commandments; His praise endureth forever."  (Psalm 111:1-10)

O= This psalm is titled by Scofield as "Praise for God's wonderful works."

The psalmist directs, "Praise ye the LORD" (v.1).  He states that he will praise the LORD:

🌿 with his whole heart
🌿 in the assembly of the upright
🌿 in the congregation (v.1)

He goes on to discuss God's wonderful works and workings: 

• The works of the LORD are great (v.2)
• God's work is honorable and glorious
• God's righteousness endures forever (v.3)
• God has made His wonderful works to be remembered
• God is gracious and full of compassion (v.4)
• God has provided food to those who fear Him
• God will always be mindful of His covenant (v.5)
• God has shown His people the power of His works
• In doing this, God has given His people the heritage of the nations (v.6)
• The works of God's hands are verity and justice
• All of God's commandments are sure (v.7)
• God's works stand fast forever and ever
• God's commandments are done in truth and uprightness (v.8)
• God has sent redemption unto His people
• God has commanded His covenant forever
• God's name is holy and reverend (v.9)

The psalmist concludes:

• The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom.
• All who do God's commandments have a good understanding.
• God's praise endures forever.

For the phrases "fear Him" (v.5) and "fear of the LORD" (v.10), there is a note: " 'The fear of the LORD' is an OT expression meaning reverential trust, including the hatred of evil."

For "redemption" (v.9) a note says: "1) Redemption is wholly from God (John 3:16); 2) Redemption is through a Person (John 3:16-17); 3) Redemption is by blood (1 Peter 1:18-19); and 4) Redemption is by power (Romans 8:2).  The blood of Christ redeems the believer from the guilt and penalty of sin (1 Peter 1:18-19) and the Holy Spirit delivers from sin on the basis of Calvary (Romans 8:2, Galatians 5:16)."

A cross-reference for "beginning of wisdom" (v.10) is Proverbs 1:7 -- "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction."

A= In his book With the Word, Warren Wiersbe explains that Psalm 111 "explains how to be a student who pleases the Lord and grows in understanding of truth."  Wiersbe notes that a student of God's Word should:

1) Start with worship (v.1);
2) See God in His works (v.2-6);
3) See God in His Word (v.7-9);
4) Obey what God teaches you (v.10)

Concerning God's works and Word, Wiersbe notes, "Whether it is science or history, you are examining God's works in this world.  His works are great and glorious, revealing His power and wisdom ... The Word of God and the book of nature do not contradict each other, for the same Author wrote them."

There were a number of ways to apply this Scripture as prompted in the journal.  

"I know it is God's work when it makes me stand back in awe." -- Rachel Wojo

The question was asked: How can I realign the eyes of my heart to see the Father's present of everyday elegance ?

My response in 2018: I tend to notice this as a rule.  When walking with a friend, I found I often noticed things that she did not.  But right now, in a season of physical pain and being mostly indoors, it's challenging.  Yet God's work is always evident if I keep my eyes open.

Answering this same question in 2024

My response:  I do try to keep the eyes of my heart aligned to see the Father's present of everyday elegance.  I think it has become pretty much of a habit by now, and am so thankful.  And, interestingly, my walking friend now notices many more details than she used to.

This prompt was given, along with a list: Today I will keep my eyes open for God's beauty in one or more of these places.

Between both 2018 and 2024, these are the places I circled: The words I read; the music I hear; the air I breathe; the people I encounter; the weather I experience; the rest I receive.

In 2024 I can note the following:

 For the words I read and  the music I hear,  a beautiful violin solo of "How Deep the Father's Love for Us".  The words, which I am fairly familiar with, were on the screen for all to read as the gifted young teenager played.

For the weather I experience, I noted: More snow!  (Only a foot this time.)

For the air I breathe, still and quiet at sunrise.  Filled with birdsong these days.

And for the rest I receive, I'm always so thankful when we sleep well.

A journaling prompt was this: Everything God made is beautiful.  Where have I noticed God's beauty in the last 24 hours?

My response in 2018: In the beauty of the snow.  In the hands of my husband, massaging arnica oil into my injured back.  In fresh air to breathe deeply.  In seeing juncos hopping and flying about in the new snow.  In photos of my grandchildren.

My response in 2024: In seeing a brilliant red cardinal at the bird feeder.  In appreciating a meaningful Easter church service and scrumptious fellowship breakfast.  In sharing a beautifully set Easter table and celebratory meal at our daughter's home.

P= "Lord, there are so many times I have stood back in awe as I have watched You work.   I know that You are always at work, whether or not I can see it in a particular situation.  I need to continually keep the eyes of my heart focused on You, Lord, and I pray that You will help that to be my focus.  Today's reading reminds me that You have made Your wonderful works to be remembered.  Help me to do just that today and every day, in Jesus' name, Amen."

And there is the Sunday Scripture for this week!  I appreciate those of you who've shared your thoughts with me concerning this series, and I continue to welcome your input.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I enjoyed this beautiful study of Psalm 111! What a wonderful way to start this day of worship of our Lord and God! It is early Sunday morning here, still dark outside...no birdsong yet, but just as soon as the sun starts to rise we will hear them singing and they will begin their time of praise to their Creator! We should do the same. Begin each day with praise to our Creator! "All Thy works shall praise Thee" Psalm 145:10. Have a lovely SONday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Let everything that has breath praise the LORD! (Psalm 150:6)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.