Sunday, July 14, 2024

Sunday Scripture

 

Yes, it's time for another Sunday Scripture!  This is part of an ongoing series on my simple study of Rachel Wojo's Everything Beautiful.  You can read about the plan here if you are interested in it for yourself: Everything Beautiful Bible reading plan. My answers and input on this series are a combination of what I learned back in 2018, and what I found in looking over the Scriptures now, six years later.  I'm attempting to SOAP the passages too, though some of them are longer. [Quick reminder that S stands for Scripture; O stands for observation; A stands for application, and P stands for prayer.]  Today's study is from Psalm 1:1-6.  

S= "Blessed is the man who walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
"But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in His law doth he meditate day and night.
"And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth its fruit in its season; its leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
"The ungodly are not so; but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.
"Therefore, the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
"For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous; but the way of the ungodly shall perish."  (Psalm 1:1-6)

O= Note for "man" (v.1) -- "The singular Hebrew word is used here to portray a representative example of a godly person."  

Cross-reference for "walketh not" (v.1) -- "Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the path of evil men.  Avoid it, pass not by it, turn away from it, and pass away."  (Proverbs 4:14-15)

Cross-reference for "counsel of the ungodly" (v.1) -- "Lo, their good is not in their hand; the counsel of the wicked is far from me."  (Job 21:16)

Cross-reference for "the way of sinners" (v.1) -- "My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not."  (Proverbs 1:10)

Cross-references for "sits in" (v.1) -- "I have not sat with vain persons, neither will I go in with dissemblers."  (Psalm 26:4)

"I sat not in the assembly of the mockers, nor rejoiced; I sat alone because of Thy hand; for Thou hast filled me with indignation."  (Jeremiah 15:17)

Cross-reference for "the seat" -- "Let them exalt Him also in the congregation of the people, and praise Him in the assembly of the elders."  (Psalm 107:32)

Cross-references for "scornful" (v.1) -- "How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity?  And the scoffers delight in their scoffing, and fools hate knowledge?"  (Proverbs 1:22)

"Surely He scoffeth at the scoffers, but He giveth grace unto the lowly."  (Proverbs 3:34)

"An ungodly witness scoffeth at justice, and the mouth of the wicked devoureth iniquity.  Judgments are prepared for scoffers, and stripes for the back of fools."  (Proverbs 19:28-29)

"Scornful men bring a city into a snare; but wise men turn away wrath."  (Proverbs 29:8)

"But his delight is in the law of the LORD." (v.2) Stuart Briscoe writes, " 'But' is a great little word!  It's a key word in Bible study for it alerts the reader to the fact that there is another side to what has just been said, and it is about to be presented.  So far the psalmist has been at great pains to state where happiness isn't.  Now he speaks positively about the direction in which happiness can be sought and found.  'But his delight is in the law of the Lord' gives the clue that so many people need to discover."

Cross-references for "delight" (v.2) -- "Praise ye the LORD.  Blessed is the man that feareth the LORD, that delighteth greatly in His commandments."  (Psalm 112:1)

"Make me to go in the path of Thy commandments; for therein do I delight."  (Psalm 119:35)

"I will speak of Thy testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed.  And I will delight myself in Thy commandments, which I have loved."  (Psalm 119:46-47)

"Unless Thy law had been my delights, I should then have perished in mine affliction."  (Psalm 119:92)

Note for "law of the LORD" (v. 2) = "Instruction."

Cross-references for "law of the LORD" (v.2) -- "The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple."  (Psalm 19:7)

"Wherefore, the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith."  (Galatians 3:24)

Cross-reference for "law" (v.2b) -- "O how love I Thy law!  It is my meditation all the day."  (Psalm 119:97)

Cross-reference for "tree" (v.3) -- "Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is.  For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit."  (Jeremiah 17:7-8)

Note for "wither" (v.3) -- in the Hebrew, this word means "fade".

Cross-reference for "like the chaff" (v.4) -- Job 21:18 says of the wicked, "They are as stubble before the wind, and as chaff that the storm carrieth away."

Cross-references for the phrase "stand in the judgment" (v.5) -- "The foolish shall not stand in Thy sight; Thou hatest all workers of iniquity."  (Psalm 5:5)

"Who can stand before His indignation? and who can abide in the fierceness of His anger? his fury is poured out like fire, and the rocks are thrown down by Him."  (Nahum 1:6)

Cross-reference for the phrase "the LORD knoweth" (v.6) -- "The LORD knoweth the days of the upright, and their inheritance shall be forever."  (Psalm 37:18)

A= For this Scripture, there were also a number of ways to apply it as prompted in the journal.  

"Beauty stems from the stream of God's Word." -- Rachel Wojo

This thought of course alludes to verse 3, where the psalmist notes that the one who delights in and meditates on God's Word will be "like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth its fruit in its season."
 
Rachel also shares a "focus word" in each of the devotional pages.  For this lesson the focus word is "delight"
 
We should find our delight in God's Word!  Warren Wiersbe comments in With the Word, "Blessing involves delight (v.2).  The Word guides your walk and rejoices your heart (Jeremiah 15:16).  Meditation is to your inner person what digestion is to your body: you make the Word a part of your life and you grow."
 
I decided to look up Jeremiah 15:16.  It reads: "Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and Thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart; for I am called by Thy name, O LORD God of hosts."
 
Wiersbe adds, "Blessing involves dependence (v.3).   Your spiritual roots grow deep into the resources of God's grace and you bear fruit because His life is at work in you."

The question was asked: How can I realign the eyes of my heart to see the Father's gift of everyday elegance?

My response in 2018: I need to delight in God's Word and meditate on it daily.  As I do, I will be like a tree planted by the water, growing, flourishing,  bearing fruit.  I will remain strong even through the dry or challenging seasons of life.

Answering this same question in 2024:  Realize that God does indeed give us everyday elegance even in challenging, difficult seasons.   For me, observing the beauty of His creation always leads to meditating on His great power, wisdom, and creativity.  Looking at these things points me back to Him every time.

This prompt was given, along with a list: Today I will keep my eyes open for God's beauty in one or more of these places.

These are the places I circled: The words I read; the places I go; the music I hear;  the air I breathe; the weather I experience; the rest I receive.

In 2024 I can note that for the music I hear,  we recently enjoyed the blessing of a string quartet at church, and also a teen ensemble singing a stirring song titled "People of the Way".  Both were so encouraging and edifying!

For the words I read, I mentioned that the imagery of a tree here and also in Jeremiah 17:7-8, is so beautiful. 

For the places I go, we had occasion to travel through the Lakes Regions of both New Hampshire and Maine recently.  The lakes are so lovely. 

 
For the air I breathe, I mentioned the cool morning air at our little cottage.



A journaling prompt was this:  Everything God made is beautiful.  Where have I noticed God's beauty in the last 24 hours?

My response in 2018: In the sun's warmth.  In the beauty of sunshine on snow.  In the loving concern of others.  In the friendship of God's people.

For my response in 2024, I added: In a glorious sunset one recent evening.  In the warmth of Christian fellowship.  Beautiful red bee balm flowers at our camp.  In the song of a robin outside our window.

P= "Lord,  I thank and praise You for the beauty and benefit of Your Word.  Help me to meditate on Your Word every day, understanding that doing so will help me to grow strong and steadfast, unwavering through the storms and dry seasons of life. I thank You so much for all that You have done and are doing in my life, even through the most challenging seasons.  In Jesus' name, Amen."

 And there is this week's Sunday Scripture!  I pray it's a blessing to someone. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for your kind words...It was very quick...He was only ill for 5 weeks and passed away only 16 days after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer...My sons took it very hard especially since my youngest son became a dad of 2 identical twin daughters in December...Thank God Joe got to see them and hold them...We did not hold a viewing and had a simple private service for only family and a few good friends....I am doing okay...I have my good and bad days bit the bad days are getting better....
    Hugs,
    Deb
    Debbie-Dabble Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Deb! Thanks so much for giving a little background on Joe's illness and diagnosis. So thankful that he got to see and hold those twin granddaughters. What a blessing!

    Thankful to hear you are doing okay and that the bad days are getting better. Will keep you in my prayers, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.