Monday, June 19, 2006

In the Potter's hand...


Beautiful graphic by Abby at Little Birdie Blessings
Here are some more quotes from my notebook. I hope these thoughts bless others as they have blessed me over the years.

“Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God.” ~ Jim Elliot


“To God thy way commending,
Trust Him whose arm of might
The heavenly circles bending,
Guides every star aright:
The winds, and clouds, and lightning,
By His sure hand are led;
And He will, dark shades brightening,
Show thee what path to tread.” ~ Paul Gerhard (1606-1676)


“The parent who studies to subdue self-will in his child, works together with God in the renewing and saving of a soul. The parent who indulges it, does the Devil’s work, makes religion impractical, and does all that in him lies to damn his child, soul and body, forever.” ~ Susannah Wesley


“Do you know the feeling of utter inadequacy to cope? I’m sure you do. But I believe the enemy of our souls is specially alert at such times, seeking to use them to turn us in on ourselves rather than upwards to the One who stands ready to be our Refuge and Helper.” ~ Elisabeth Elliot


“As children bring their broken toys with tears for us to mend,
I brought my broken dreams to God because He was my Friend.
But then, instead of leaving Him in peace, to work alone,
I hung around and tried to help, with ways that were my own.
At last, I snatched them back and cried, ‘How can You be so slow?’
‘My child’, He said, ‘What could I do? You never did let go.” ~ Author Unknown


“Faith, mighty faith the promise sees,
And looks to God alone;
Laughs at impossibilities
And cries, ‘It shall be done!” ~ Author Unknown


“We need to recognize that when we say no in times of temptation, we are saying yes to obedience.” ~ Terry C. Muck


“When we say no firmly, we are able to say yes faithfully.” ~ Douglas Rumford


“God is ready to assume full responsibility for the life wholly yielded to Him.”
~ Andrew Murray


“When we are able to recognize temptations as seductive attempts to make us cling to the illusions of the false self, we can see them as invitations to claim our true self, which is hidden in God and in Him alone.” ~ Henri J.M. Nouwen

“The best prayer comes from a strong inward necessity. By human security systems, we often protect ourselves from a dynamic prayer life. Why do we do ourselves this wrong?” ~ William MacDonald

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.