Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Homemade Applesauce

Carrie asked if I would post my applesauce recipe. Well, Carrie, you already have this recipe, I think; it's in the Carpentry Cuisine cookbook. But I will share it here just in case anyone else would like to have it. Applesauce is one of those things that one doesn't really need a recipe for, I guess, but I do use one as a guideline. This recipe is originally from my pastor's wife. It originally called for 1/4 cup honey in addition to the brown sugar, but I leave this out.

Homemade Applesauce

3 lbs. apples (about 12 medium apples, I think -- use Macintosh, Cortland or other cooking apples)
about 1 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon (or less) nutmeg -- I prefer to use about half as much nutmeg as cinnamon.

Peel apples and cut them into chunks. Place apples in heavy saucepan and add water. Cook, covered, over medium heat until apples come to a boil; turn heat to low and simmer 45 minutes or until apples are very soft. Remove from heat and mash apples with a potato masher. Add spices and stir well. Serve warm or cold.

This makes about 8 cups of applesauce or so. You can easily cut the recipe in half, which is what I've been doing when I use our smaller wild apples.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.