Monday, April 30, 2007

Baked Ziti Casserole


Here's what I made for supper tonight. It was easy and very tasty. I adapted the recipe from a Light & Tasty cookbook.

BAKED ZITI CASSEROLE

16 ounces ziti or other small tubular pasta
15 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
1 egg
Granulated garlic (or garlic powder) to taste
Italian seasoning to taste (I used about 1 Tblsp.)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese or to taste
Additional grated Parmesan cheese to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside. In a bowl, combine the ricotta, egg, granulated garlic, Italian seasoning and 1/4 cup Parmesan.

Spread 1 cup of the spaghetti sauce in a greased 13x9-inch baking dish. Top with a third of the pasta, half of the ricotta mixture, 1/3 cup of the mozzarella, about 1 Tblsp. Parmesan, and 1 cup sauce.

Repeat the above layers.

Top with remaining pasta and sauce; sprinkle with 1/3 cup mozzarella and Parmesan to taste. Cover and bake at 375ยบ for 45 to 50 minutes or until heated through.

Yield: 12 servings.

This will make several meals for the two of us. It is very good and is relatively low in fat. I served it with salad (“Classic Romaine” from a bag) and multigrain ciabatta rolls from the Wal*Mart bakery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.