Friday, December 21, 2007

Show & Tell Friday for December 21

I've mentioned before about the treasured antique ornaments given to me by a great-aunt. Still tucked into the ancient brown shoebox in which she gave them to me, they include colorful, tarnished glass balls, shiny cardboard reflectors to place on the old-fashioned colored lights, and some cute felt ornaments. There are two of these snowmen, and I love them. They are made out of white felt in approximately the shape of a snowflake. Each snowman's head is a wood ball with painted features and a three-dimensional red nose, and they wear black top hats. They sport green collars and have red "berries" for hands and feet. Here is a white plastic reindeer from my childhood. The ones on my grandmother’s tree were tied on with red satin ribbons. I loved seeing them as a child! This little sock was given to me by my grandmother, tied onto the bow of some gift in my teen years. I think there was money folded up and stuffed into the little stocking. It is so cute. I have kept it all these years and now it hangs on my tree every year. Now here are a few newer ornaments that I have made. The first one is from the humble lid of a frozen juice can and a wrapping paper scrap. I love this ornament, because I always loved that particular wrapping paper and now I have a way to keep it always. This little teapot was made by either me or my daughter. We made a bunch of them one year and also did this as a craft at a ladies’ Christmas fellowship. And here is a favorite ornament of mine. I saw them in a pricey catalog one year and decided they wouldn’t be too hard to make. The hemlock cones are from our woods. And this is how our tree looked last year. We put it in a different place than ever before, and put my lighted village underneath it for the first time (the village is usually displayed elsewhere) but we really liked the location of both tree and village, so we are using the same locations for 2007. If you look closely you can see my lighted snowflake/icicle garland above the window, and Mr. T’s embellished work socks hanging below the garland.

7 comments:

  1. Those are great keepsake ornaments. Your tree looks so full. I like the village underneath the tree too! Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:58 PM

    Very nice show and tell, Mrs.T. What a beautiful tree. Is it real?
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ornaments are absolutely beautiful. I especially like the reindeer. How lucky you are to have these. Thanks so much for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ladies,

    Thanks so much for stopping by my kitchen table. I am glad you enjoyed seeing the ornaments and tree.

    Yes, Nancy, the tree is real. The tree we have this year came from the same tree farm and looks almost exactly like this one. You will be shocked when I tell you we only paid $20 for this tree. It's a very low price even for here in rural New England.

    Merry Christmas to all!
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the handmade ornament you made with the wrapping paper. I love blue and white prints and I think it is lovely. Thanks for sharing.

    Blessings,
    ~Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your sweet comments, Jane. I love blue and white also, and you don't see it all that often in Christmas wrapping paper. I suppose that's why I loved this paper so much and wanted to use it somehow.

    Thanks for stopping by, and have a merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice. I especially love the two older ones.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.