Friday, March 14, 2008

Still on God's Path...


I want to share just a few more insights I've gained from Finding God's Path Through Your Trials, by Elizabeth George. These are from my study of chapter 8, "Standing with the Giants of Faith" which contains much of an emphasis on Hebrews 11, often thought of as God's "hall of faith". At the end of the chapter, my assignment was to reflect on my own faith and ask myself a few questions.

First, how do I tend to view God's promises? I wrote: I view them as promises that God will keep. I can look to His promises in the absolute certainty that they will be true in my life. I can rest in His promises because He is fully able to perform what He has promised (Romans 4:21).

Second, how do I tend to view God? I wrote: He is all-knowing and all-powerful as well as being "the only wise God" (1 Timothy 1:17). He is sovereign. He knows the end from the beginning and is working all things after the counsel of His own will. There is nothing too hard for Him. He is "too loving to be unkind and too wise to make a mistake."

Third, how do I tend to respond to waiting? I wrote: I tend to have a more difficult time with waiting. I can and will do it -- it's not that I want to take matters into my own hands -- but I may feel nervous and shaky until things are resolved.

So as I thought about this, I was reminded of a couple of wonderful verses that will help me in this last area. Maybe they will encourage someone else, too.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." (2 Timothy 1:7)

"In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me." (Psalm 56:11)

"The LORD is my light and my salvation: whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" (Psalm 27:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.