Wednesday, March 19, 2008
I've been continuing to look over notes I took in fall 2006 at a women's seminar with Elizabeth George. These notes I'm sharing today are from session 2, which was all about trusting in the Lord. Here's what I wrote:
We can say to God, "Lord, Your Word says, "In every thing give thanks" (1 Thessalonians 5:18) and "all things work together for good" (Romans 8:28). Your Word is truer than anything we're thinking or feeling."
We can never view life through the lens of experience or feeling. We must see the big picture (God and His sovereignty and majesty) behind every difficulty.
We can trust Him for:
1) our #1 problem each day
2) the "good" things in life
3) the "bad" things in life
4) the large things in life, the life-altering things
5) the small things
6) the people in our lives -- they are "sandpaper" to help conform us to Christ
7) all things "If our circumstances find us in God, we shall find God in all our circumstances." --D. L. Moody
8) good -- God intermingles all the events of our lives to produce something good.
I was especially encouraged by the thought that we should never view life through the lens of experience or feeling, but that we must remember that God's Word is truer than anything we might be thinking or feeling. It reminds me again of something I've mentioned before -- how that after September 11, 2001, when we found ourselves in a bit of difficulty as we traveled, I saw a sign -- one of the many that businesses put up during those dark days -- which read, "Keep your focus on God -- He can be trusted." I can't think of any better advice for any difficulty we face.
Is your focus on God? He can indeed be trusted!