Saturday, June 06, 2009

A Homemade Life ~ June 6


Here are a couple of homemade items I keep on hand all the time. When we run out, I always make more so we will have these things on hand.

Homemade Italian Dressing

1/2 cup vinegar
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup oil
1 Tblsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. sweet pepper flakes

Combine all in a 2-cup measure or in a small bowl. Use a funnel to transfer to a salad dressing bottle or cruet. (I use a cool-looking recycled Star vinegar bottle.) Shake well before using. Makes just over 1 cup.

Homemade Instant Oatmeal

6 cups quick-cooking oats
1 1/3 cups nonfat dry milk powder
1 cup dried apples, snipped in small pieces with scissors (or use about 1 cup raisins)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tblsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cloves

In a large bowl, combine all and stir well. Transfer to an airtight container -- I use a recycled 3-lb. potato salad container. Store in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Makes 8 cups -- 16 (1/2 cup) servings.

To use, combine 1/2 cup mix and 3/4 cup water in a deep, 2-cup capacity microwave-safe bowl. Microwave 1 minute on High. Stir, and microwave 45-60 more seconds on High. Let stand 30 seconds or so, then serve.

If you would like to see other homemade ideas, be sure and check out Life on a Back Road. You will find lots of inspiration there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.