Monday, June 15, 2009

A Homemade Life


Recently I came across a recipe for a skillet meal that called for fajita seasoning mix. Every now and then I do see a recipe that calls for a packet of this mix, and I knew there had to be a homemade substitute out there. I did a little looking and found this one. I always like it when a taco seasoning mix calls for some cornstarch, because it does thicken somewhat as the store-bought taco seasoning does. So, when I saw this recipe, I knew it was the one I wanted to try. I was very, very pleased with the result in my pork skillet meal with southwestern flavors.

FAJITA SEASONING MIX

3 Tblsp. cornstarch
2 Tblsp. chili powder
1 Tblsp. sugar
1 Tblsp. paprika
1 Tblsp. chicken bouillon granules
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. onion powder
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
3/4 tsp. cumin

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix thoroughly to be sure all cornstarch lumps are blended in. Transfer to a small jar or tin and use as needed in recipes which call for fajita seasoning. 2 Tablespoons mix approximates to one store-bought package of fajita seasoning mix.

If you would like to see other homemade ideas, be sure and check out Life on a Back Road. You will find lots of inspiration there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.