Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Crab Quiche recipes


Recently I mentioned crab quiche in a menu plan for the week. I am going to share a couple different recipes since I don't always make this the same way. I've tried a number of crab quiche recipes over the years, but these two are the ones I use most often. Both of my favorites were adapted from other recipes. Here's the first one.

Crab Quiche 1

I adapted an appetizer recipe to make this quiche.

9-inch unbaked pie shell
4 ounces imitation crabmeat (or use the real thing if you prefer)
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/3 cups half-and-half (I use the fat-free type)
1/4 tsp. dill weed
1 cup shredded Swiss or sharp Cheddar cheese (or a combination)

Place the crabmeat in the pie shell. Beat the eggs, half & half, and dill weed together. Stir in the cheese and pour over the crabmeat.

Bake in preheated 425º oven for 10 minutes; lower oven temperature to 350º and bake for 30 minutes longer or until the quiche tests done. Serves 4 to 6.

**(And if you would prefer to make appetizer squares from this recipe instead, do this: Line a jelly roll pan (15x10) with pastry. Crimp the edges and prick the pastry well with a fork. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Use 8 ounces of crab and spread it over the baked pastry. Use the same amount of eggs and dill weed, but use 1 1/2 cups half & half, and 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Pour over crabmeat and bake for 30 minutes. Cut into small squares to serve.)**

Crab Quiche 2

I adapted a lobster quiche recipe (from my favorite cooking newsletter, Cook & Tell [see link in sidebar]) to make this crab quiche.

9-inch unbaked pie shell
4 ounces real or imitation crabmeat, flaked
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups half & half (again I use the fat-free)
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
A few grinds of pepper
2 to 3 teaspoons dry minced onion
Paprika

Heat oven to 425º. Layer the crabmeat and cheese in the pie shell. Beat the eggs, cream, Worcestershire, and pepper together and stir in the onion. Pour this over the crab and cheese. Sprinkle with paprika.

Bake for 10 minutes at 425º. Lower oven temperature to 350º and bake for 25-30 minutes longer, or until the quiche tests done. Serves 4 to 6.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. You are very welcome, Arlene! I hope that you and your family enjoy these recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.